V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I have found a great deal on chrome hand controls for my '02 FXST.
Problem is the guy who sells them is only stocking 11/16 bore master cylinder (dual disc brake).
He claims that there is no problem in using dual disc master cylinder on a single disc and if anything it would improve the braking action of the caliper as it would exert more pressure on the disc (?).
I don't have enough knowledge on braking system to make an educated decision but the price sure is a real bargain.
Can anyone here see any reason why it would be wrong (or indeed dangerous) to use a dual disc master cylinder on a single disc caliper (I will also install a braided brake line).

Thank you
Happy new year!

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
94c4,

I don't think it will hurt to use the 11/16 bore on a single disk.

He claims that there is no problem in using dual disc master cylinder on a single disc and if anything it would improve the braking action of the caliper as it would exert more pressure on the disc (?).
I gotta disagree with this. You are only going to exert as much pressure as you need to stop. This is being controlled by your hand. Being that the bore is larger than the single disk master cylinder, it may have the feel that the brake lever is engaging quicker than normal since all the fluid is not being transfered to two calipers.

If you say you can get it for a good price, I would definitely give it a try and a test ride will let you know.

Hope this helps.

Any one else's thought on the subject??

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jockey,
I'll give it a go and let you know how it works. Fingers crossed!
I will also lower the back by 1.5", buy braided cables and put a 15" apes on.
Nothing like your 20" but you gotta start somewhere right?

All the best

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Sounds good. I'll be looking forward to see how it progresses along. 15" apes are fine and are very comfortable on long trips.

Good luck,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts