V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m looking to get a set of the chrome fork sliders for our `05 FXSTI.I see HD came out with a billet set,but thats kinda pricey for me.Anyone have any luck with the aftermarket stuff?I may just go with the factory sliders;a local shop does the chrome exchange.Just looking for comments before I drop the dough.
How difficult are the sliders to change?I have the factory manual,it doesnt look to bad,but dont want to get in over my head.Thanks,Mark.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had the best luck (cost & fit) with H-D stuff. I just had 2 inner primarys chromed at the place I've used for over 10 yrs, they cost as much as the new ones from harley, and the H-D's come with new seals & a bearing.
Think about deuce sliders I use them alot, you will also need a fender & axle.
To do the job yourself you'll need a 5mm & 6mm hex head, new seals, fork oil, & hand tool's.
If you have the tool's do it your self, your not going to learn any younger.
Good luck!

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
I just finished sanding down the clear, then polished the lowers on a Road King. Actually looks better than chrome, as the uppers seem to have stainless. I removed the calipers, fender and wheel, then went at it. You can remove the casting marks as well, for a really clean look. start with 200, then 400, 600, 1000, 1500, etc. I"ve done some hondas before and it stays shiny for a long time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DR_DEUCE said:
I just finished sanding down the clear, then polished the lowers on a Road King. Actually looks better than chrome, as the uppers seem to have stainless. I removed the calipers, fender and wheel, then went at it. You can remove the casting marks as well, for a really clean look. start with 200, then 400, 600, 1000, 1500, etc. I"ve done some hondas before and it stays shiny for a long time.

I never thought of that.I should have,considering I polished the frames and swingarms on my last two streetbikes.
Thanks,Mark.

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
Holy crap!!! Why didn't I think of polishing mine? I've been wrestling with the chrome slider thing for about a month.

I also don't want to refinance my house to get chrome wheels, so I'm thinking about polishing out the stock cast wheels to see how they look. Would still like a nice set of customs, but I'm thinking the stock ones polished out might look fairly nice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
got to agree with the Dr on this one. did about the same on the ultra,as I had to replace the tubes and the lowers anyway,(it was bought as a salvage) picked up a set of lowers on e-bay and sanded, sanded and sanded. put a set of cloth wheels on the bench grinder and buffed with 2 grades of compound. replaced the cans with chrome while it was apart. the only thing that makes this cost prohibitive is the amount of beer it takes to polish them. other wise you will love the way thy turn out. only maintance is wiping them with a little never-dull once in a while

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
You could buy the chrome set online for 20% off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
fridge empty? 1-2 evenings. fridge full could take longer. the toughest part is getting the moco's clear and silver paint off. they could attach the space shuttle tiles with that stuff. just take your time and they will come out great. you got a couple of week's before it gets nice there again

·
OEF Vet - US Army
75 Posts
I bought a set of chrome sliders off of ebay for my Ultra and they look great. The service manual looks pretty self explanatory.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Aircraft Stripper will take the clear right off. After the stripper is off, you can polish 'em with a good bench top buffer in a hour or so. I've done several sets and all turned out nice. The ones on my Ironhead have been polished out for 10+ years and still look great.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
xxxflhrci said:
Aircraft Stripper will take the clear right off. After the stripper is off, you can polish 'em with a good bench top buffer in a hour or so. I've done several sets and all turned out nice. The ones on my Ironhead have been polished out for 10+ years and still look great.

Where can the aircraft stripper be purchased?

·
Registered
18 Posts
most auto paint supply stores should have it. iirc they make two grades,one says "odorless" and can be found at autozone, but the other seams to work better

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
skunkape said:
fridge empty? 1-2 evenings. fridge full could take longer.
I'm thinking I should probably just take the fridge next door during the project.

BTW, did you consider some sort of coating afterwards, or just wiping it down now and then?

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
skunkape said:
most auto paint supply stores should have it. iirc they make two grades,one says "odorless" and can be found at autozone, but the other seams to work better
I've found in general anything odorless just isn't the same and the good hallucinogenic stuff. Not nearly as fun either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
fridge is in the garage,(see pic,post 6 to right above) I used the good striper with the doors closed, no long term affects here! cold beer helps with the watering of the eyes! I wipe the legs down with "never-dull" 1-2 time a year.it does a good job on them. Who is this Paris Hilton? and why would you tap her on the head?

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
I got thinking about all the stuff I have to do without taking on a slider polishing project and finally decided just to order a set of chrome HD sliders. Also thought about the time invested in polishing out the stock wheels and while I may give this a try, I still have this thing for spokes. I just think a Harley looks nicer with them, even if they are a pain in the ass to clean.

So, I think sometime before spring I'll probably buy a set of chromed laced wheels. I like some of the chrome wheels out there, but I can't see myself dumping over 2 grand into a set of wheels. Now my dilemma is deciding on whether or not to go with a 21" on the front.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SEDELUXE05 said:
do you wet sand or use dry?
where do i pick up the polishing cream at?
if you use the stripper do you have to sand or do you just start polishing

When I polished my streetbikes in the past,I started wet sanding at 1000 grit;all the way up to 2000 grit.
I always got my polishing stuff from the Eastwood Co.Just wish I didnt give it all away when I sold my last bike!!
I`m assuming you dont have to sand if the stripper is used.I`m gonna find out soon;the bike is starting to come apart as soon as I`m done typing!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts