V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Want To Change My Control Bottons To Chrome On My 05 Road King Classic And Have Heard That The Chrome Does Not Holded Up To Well. Has Any One Had This Problem? I Already Have Done The Switch Housings & Break / Clutch Controls, And I Know What A Pain It Is To Change Them Out. I Don’t Want To Go Through All That Work And Have To Put The Black Bottons Back.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I'm pretty sure the chrome buttons are just caps over the existing buttons, not replacements of the entire button. I haven't gotten them yet, but as I understand it, you don't have to open up the housings to put them on...they just press on.

they're only $10...put 'em on, if the chrome wears out, buy a new set.

·
rambleon
16 Posts
Chrome buttons

O5HOG said:
I Want To Change My Control Bottons To Chrome On My 05 Road King Classic And Have Heard That The Chrome Does Not Holded Up To Well. Has Any One Had This Problem? I Already Have Done The Switch Housings & Break / Clutch Controls, And I Know What A Pain It Is To Change Them Out. I Don’t Want To Go Through All That Work And Have To Put The Black Bottons Back.
05 Hog,
I replaced mine going on two years now, and they're just as shiny as the day I bought them. No wear, no chips, no dulling or scratches. Most went on easy, however one of them was a real pain in the a$$ to put on. If I remember correctly, they're made outta plastic, but again, no problems. By the way, they're not caps that fit over the existing buttons, but rather replacements. They're plastic, so ya gotta be careful not to break them when installing.

·
05 Ultra
21 Posts
Just replaced my black switches (and housings) with chrome ones last weekend. The first one was a pain trying to figure out how things went. Second one was a bit easier. Total time to replace all was about 2 1/2 hours.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Kind of a pain to install, but a inexpensive very cool mod IMHO.

Have done this twice, at first you'll think you have lost your mind, it gets easier with each button.

Oh yeah keep a heat gun or hair dryer handy, them plastic buttons are brittle and even worse when cold. Broke one on the old bike nevr got around to getting another set before I sold it, it was christmas day about 7:00 pm when it broke and there was no running down to get another. Sold it a couple monthes later.

Second day I owned the new bike it got chrome swithes I think they really look nice! (Didn't break any this time but I said evry cuss word I know installing them!)

Brent
:thumbsup:

·
03 FLHTCUI
375 Posts
First, you scared the crap out of me with the title of this thread. I though the government or somebody was going to put controls on the amount of chrome we can add to our sleds. :unsure: Good Grief.

OK, Ok, that was not what you meant. I had my switches converted when they were building the Trike (January 04) and have been riding it ever since in all kinds of weather. No problem with looks or function. :thumbsup:

Ride Safe.
Walt

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
I've put them on two bikes now, they hold up better than the black ones. The hair dryer is a nice touch, took me till my second bike to figgure that one out!! Go SLOWLY when doing them. You'll see what I mean. Go for it any how, the buttons are like what..... 15 bucks? If you break one you won't break your wallet.

·
banal
486 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
I've put them on two bikes now, they hold up better than the black ones. The hair dryer is a nice touch, took me till my second bike to figgure that one out!! Go SLOWLY when doing them. You'll see what I mean. Go for it any how, the buttons are like what..... 15 bucks? If you break one you won't break your wallet.
Breaking the button won't break your wallet, for sure. Break a switch putting them on, like I did, will dent the wallet. I also found them to be very hard to install, but I love the look against the black switch housings. Worth the pain and cost, in my opinion.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
CarbideDude said:
Breaking the button won't break your wallet, for sure. Break a switch putting them on, like I did, will dent the wallet. I also found them to be very hard to install, but I love the look against the black switch housings. Worth the pain and cost, in my opinion.

Well now, THAT hurts!!! I feel your pain:crying:

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I don't like chrome up front...too much glare from the sun during summer riding! There's too much there already. I'm looking for something decent looking to put on the gas tank lid to reduce glare. Function over form for me...to an extent! %[email protected]

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
I'm sorry but I can't trust anybody who capitalizes the first letter of every word in every sentence. That has to be a lot of work 05HOG. However, If You Want To Try The Buttons Go Ahead..Just Like DFrooney Says..But Then Again...He Said He Should Be Ignored....Dang, This Kind Of Typing Is Hard Work.
Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003
Also lots of "smartass" experience...:wacko:

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Had the chrome covers on my 00 sftd. I just got the cover for the resevoir as 1. the chrome resevior kit was way to expensive and 2. the cover looked just fine for a 1/4 of the price. I broke one of the buttons too, got em all one and broke the last one. Man I was cussing. When pals gave me shxt about it i just explained that it was my custom touch. Russ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts