V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided that I want to put apes on the bike.
However it seems a bit difficult to test different sets to find the most adequate.
How much rise is too much to manage (I'm 6'4")
Is there any particular way to go about this or is it pure luck?
Also I willl probably need to re-do all the cables and lines to thehandlebars.
Is there any place where I can buy custom lenght for all the necessary cables and lines?

Thanks for your help
Ciao

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You dont say what bike you're riding but that makes a difference because of seat height on the different models. The same bars will feel different on a bagger, on a Softail, and on a Dyna. I have 16" Krome Works apes on my FXDWG and have no problems with them and I'm only 5'7" tall (or short I guess???). I might have a problem with those same bars on a softail because of the where the seat is in relation to the bars. The same bars would seem slight taller on a softail than my Dyna. I do love the way they look and feel on the bike though and have no regrets about installing apes at all. You will definitely have to redo all the lines but it's a good time to go with s/s. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
APES !!! Yeah ! read here how to .

so you wanna get apes ? great choice, you'll never regret it.
first thing, sit on your bike, take your arms place them straight out eye length height, you'll look like a mummy on the bike. measure from one hnad to the top of the trees, this should be a comfortable height bar set up. figure out the riser you want and bar height from this measurement. if the lentgh is say 20 inches, and you want 4" risers, well then get apes that are 16" tall, width is realitvely important too. but that is up to you, wide is nice and comfortable, but can make it difficult when turning. the cables, i measure after i put the bars on, and i run the wires through the bars, i also like to run one throttle cable. if you can get away with no switches, even better. the dleaner the bars the better right, i some times run my brake lines and clutch cables inside as well, but that does take some level of knowledge. I hope this helps, if you need more answers cal me at 920 432 1577. rock on, the dawg
www.ridefullthrottle.com

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the feedback.
Dawg I'll get on with the mesurements tonight and take it from there.
I like the idea of running cables through the bars.
I'll look into it as well.

Thanks a bunch.
Antonio

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK,

I just bought Custom Chrome 15" apes.
Man they are tall!
I am going to put them right on the top tree with 1" risers.
Any idea what extra lenght of cables I am going to need?

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts