V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a chopper guys fxr and was wondering if a V Rod VRSCA triple trees and shocks might fit. looking for suggestions to allow dual disc brakes and a 130 front tire and wheel (19"). This is my first build and am open to suggestions. Mike in Alaska

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I would Never recomend a Chopper Guys FXR [wannabe] as a project...especially the First.
But, I may be too much of a purist!!!
Look at that Cult site maybe??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would Never recomend a Chopper Guys FXR [wannabe] as a project...especially the First.
Thanks for the note on the Cult site. Do you have a link?

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
daytec used to make a stout fxr frame, bigdog used it on their boxer model,, it still wasn't a real one

dont know about the front end,,, except the tubes will be way short..

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Chopper Guys is a excellent frame. Nothing closer to OE, welds are better than OE. A friend has VRod forks on his FXR. I'll PM you on how to get a hold of him.

·
Registered
182 Posts
We are upgrading an 83 fxr to Vrod 49mm forks and calipers (dual) with newer 11.5" rotors, used a dyna tree and stock 83 front wheel.
Can't remember right now the year for the rotors and triple tree.
If interested, i will look up parts used.

BTW, we put a twin cam (2006) 5 speed in as well and a belt drive.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
See if this works. click on the link.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We are upgrading an 83 fxr to Vrod 49mm forks and calipers (dual) with newer 11.5" rotors, used a dyna tree and stock 83 front wheel.
Can't remember right now the year for the rotors and triple tree.
If interested, i will look up parts used.

BTW, we put a twin cam (2006) 5 speed in as well and a belt drive.
I would appreciate the help. When you have time please. Thanks

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I crack up with the so called purists, who bolt on aftermarket pipes, mirrors, clutch packs, seats, tires, cables, ignitions, engines and don't use Harley oil, LMAO.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I crack up with the so called purists, who bolt on aftermarket pipes, mirrors, clutch packs, seats, tires, cables, ignitions, engines and don't use Harley oil, LMAO.
Yep me too.... after all, those Personalized bikes are bringing oh so Much more $$ on the Market..
Even if yer not selling, I don't know how you can Ignore Desirability!
The day of the Big Dog, Bad Dog, Rude Dog... all them "Assembled from bought parts" Customs... has passed...
Now we get to deal with the Wanna-Be Stunters!!!! More entertaining anyway!!!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yep me too.... after all, those Personalized bikes are bringing oh so Much more $$ on the Market..
Even if yer not selling, I don't know how you can Ignore Desirability!
The day of the Big Dog, Bad Dog, Rude Dog... all them "Assembled from bought parts" Customs... has passed...
Now we get to deal with the Wanna-Be Stunters!!!! More entertaining anyway!!!
Why do people always bring up “ $$ and market price” ???
In my experience, most people actually find value in riding the motorcycle they chose to accessorize or build and are not all that concerned with resale value.
Chopper Guys or Kenny Boyce, as well as some others, actually build quality products that are still being used and abused with same results as OEM

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I agree with alay191, FXR's are my passion and I didn't do mine to make money. As for starting with a aftermarket frame, most wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a chopper guys and a OE unless they have a habit of looking at VIN numbers. And those that have a habit of looking at VIN # get pegged as a cop, or socked. Only time I look at a VIN is when purchasing. Some of the OE frames being sold are in need of a lot of TLC where they have a habit of rusting. Also guys are drooling for Delkron inner primaries, and trans cases. Yeah like guys will quit riding because those parts are not OG, give me a break.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Totally agree about the bolt on purists... Lol
My bike is a legit fxr and I can tell you the only original piece left is the frame.... That's it... Build what you want and in your style. A real purist builds his bike. It doesn't get anymore old school than that. What is your plan with the bike figure in your end game. Are you curve burning or a speed freak? Those would be very different front end requirements. Good luck on your build

·
Registered
21 Posts
My departure from being a Puritan came about as the result of being on a strict budget; not being able to afford a Harley and a friend who almost gifted me an 87 FXRS-SP with a fat boy front end and a ton of aftermarket parts attached. I didnt give a damn whether it was a pure FXR or not. It was a HD, it ran and I had the wind in my hair. Build what you want or can and enjoy it. Thank those that helped and ignore the rest. Besides....what fun is it to ride when you spend more time worrying about getting a rock chip in your 30 year old factory paint than you do at enjoying the sport. Besides after your gone your grandson is going to turn that factory original FXR with 1500 original miles into something that looks like it was built on Thunderdome! Just Sayin!😁

1 - 20 of 82 Posts