V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, New Here to the forum. I have a chopper/technical question. Has anyone mounted an EFI pump in a chopper gastank? I am referencing a gas tank that doesn't sit flat but at an incline. My question includes mounting the EFI pump without losing tank capacity?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hello, New Here to the forum. I have a chopper/technical question. Has anyone mounted an EFI pump in a chopper gastank? I am referencing a gas tank that doesn't sit flat but at an incline. My question includes mounting the EFI pump without losing tank capacity?

Thanks in advance

Hmmm, how do you think it is possible to put something inside of a gas tank and not reduce the capacity of the gas tank?

·
Super Moderator
21,606 Posts
Its not just pump that's involved. You'll need the pump, a regulator, a pick up sock and a discharge filter. If it not all in the tank, as in you mount the pump to a frame rail, you'll need a return line.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Humongous fuel line... an old NASCAR trick ;):ROFLMAO:

Swap out to a bigger tank, I guess.

Regardless, the internal volume of a container will always be reduced when something is placed inside of it. That is what the OP asked, not bigger tank, fuel lines etc. How to put a pump inside of his gas tank without reducing its capacity. That defies the laws of physics. Cannot be done. Everything else is just noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is awesome...I love the replies. Let me restate what I meant. Mounting the EFI in my current tank internal would have to mount on the bottom but towards the front. The tank is inclined and mounting in this location would cut my tank capacity to about a gallon. The tank is currently 4 gallons. I do like the idea of the external pump but was worried about heat. (See Photos) Thermodyne brings up a good point about the return line. This efi unit only has 1 single inlet? so I am unsure about how to run the return.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1947 FL 1972 XLCH 1989 FLST
48 Posts
This is awesome...I love the replies. Let me restate what I meant. Mounting the EFI in my current tank internal would have to mount on the bottom but towards the front. The tank is inclined and mounting in this location would cut my tank capacity to about a gallon. The tank is currently 4 gallons. I do like the idea of the external pump but was worried about heat. (See Photos) Thermodyne brings up a good point about the return line. This efi unit only has 1 single inlet? so I am unsure about how to run the return.
I wonder if what he is asking is, could he place a pickup tube of of some sort into the lower area of his tank. Not knowing what an EFI pump looks like I would say sure, go for it, but from what I gathered when I was looking into it you need to drop the pump in from the top, so access is the question.

P.S When I asked around everyone tried to discourage me from trying to build an EFI system!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if what he is asking is, could he place a pickup tube of of some sort into the lower area of his tank. Not knowing what an EFI pump looks like I would say sure, go for it, but from what I gathered when I was looking into it you need to drop the pump in from the top, so access is the question.

P.S When I asked around everyone tried to discourage me from trying to build an EFI system!
Thanks for the feedback. a pickup tube is ideal but the pump module isn't really modifiable for that. Top down seems like a good option. Might even look cool. All the reading I did was against the efi system also. I live in a area with high humidity and the mikuni goes all outta wack. I could retune but it can be different all in the same day.
I appreciate the reach out and ideas.

·
Super Moderator
21,606 Posts
If I was trying to convert that scooter to efi, I would not use oem Harley parts. Just build it from scratch. You can hide the pump and regulator in a fake oil tank. Most people will never notice, and those that do will be impressed, so long as you do it correctly. The easiest system to build would be a throttle body injector.

·
Registered
566 Posts

That does not make any sense. If you are asking about a return line to the gas tank when running an external fuel pump for the EFI system, then that is something totally different and there are several really simple solutions for that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I was trying to convert that scooter to efi, I would not use oem Harley parts. Just build it from scratch. You can hide the pump and regulator in a fake oil tank. Most people will never notice, and those that do will be impressed, so long as you do it correctly. The easiest system to build would be a throttle body injector.
Hiding it is a great idea.
Great Idea
Thanks Mann

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That does not make any sense. If you are asking about a return line to the gas tank when running an external fuel pump for the EFI system, then that is something totally different and there are several really simple solutions for that.
That is a great point. I will research it.
Thanks for all the great ideas

1 - 14 of 14 Posts