V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been sitting behind lines and reading these posts. I enjoy this site most of all. I would like to say hello.
I am planning to do a 95 or 98 build on my 03 FLHRI. After researching it seems it's all about the same costs either way I go. Reliability, Easy tuning and low/mid range torque is what I want. Just a fun ride. I know some of you have these builds and I would like your comments on them.
1. HQ 95 touring pkg 10:1 kit with 0039 cam, HQ head work
2. Hillside 98 10:1 tw6 stage 2 heads combo
3. GMR 98 37b or 525 cam gmr heads combo
tuning hopefully sert or t-max. HQ has a new pro-tuner.
Exhaust Fatcat w Quiet baffle.
Any Info would be helpfull. thanks in advance. Bob

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Mule said:
I have been sitting behind lines and reading these posts. I enjoy this site most of all. I would like to say hello.
I am planning to do a 95 or 98 build on my 03 FLHRI. After researching it seems it's all about the same costs either way I go. Reliability, Easy tuning and low/mid range torque is what I want. Just a fun ride. I know some of you have these builds and I would like your comments on them.
1. HQ 95 touring pkg 10:1 kit with 0039 cam, HQ head work
2. Hillside 98 10:1 tw6 stage 2 heads combo
3. GMR 98 37b or 525 cam gmr heads combo
tuning hopefully sert or t-max. HQ has a new pro-tuner.
Exhaust Fatcat w Quiet baffle.
Any Info would be helpfull. thanks in advance. Bob
You got three proven packages there, can't go wrong with any of those!
Of course, I have always lusted after a tw6 cam set up and tuned properly....

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Any of the three will make you a very fun to ride bike.

I have a 98" version of the HQ build you listed and love it. Knowing what I know now.... If I were to do it over, I would likely opt for the 95", as there is very little difference (except $$$).

On any of the three, the tune will make or break it!

I have been hearing very good stuff about the ProTuner from the testers. Even though I have a DTT, the ProTuner is appealing as it can leverage the knock detection data that is exposed by the SERT ~ which neither the DTT or TMax can do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Adlerx and PhilM
Phil I'm impressed with your dyno.
I also like the woods cam.
But If I go pro tuner I'll go HQ
Question Phil. On the cam Installation, would any grinding be needed in the chest area with this high lift cam?
And what about compression releases?
thanks Bob

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I did not have to clearence my camchest for the 0039's, but mine is an 05. On an 03, you will need to clearence the bearing pocket. It's not difficult. I've done it several times. The casting started coming with reliefs in 2005.

Because my previous bike had a very healthy appetite for starter clutches and I live in TX, where it's HOT in the summer, I did go for comp releases. My thought is "better safe than stupid" ~ it's cheap insurance.

I have heard good things about the 6G as well. It has a cult-like following... kinda like some others.... :)

·
Fastest Chkn N the South!
897 Posts
Mule, did you read my recent threads (one here and one in the 1/4 mile/dyno section) telling about my GMR 98"/525 combo? I really think you'de like this setup. :yes:

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
All great builds and i'm a GMR build x 2 now.
same old story, if you dont get it tuned right, it will be a dog no matter the build. Invest time and $ in getting it tuned.

karlrockdrain

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
What are the price differences? Horse power & torque differences low & mid RPMs? I would think the answers would make or break the build.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hugie03flhr
I am not sure of what you mean. Any of these builds cost about 2,500. Plus any extra stuff to finish and then a good tune. Our baggers are heavy. Myself and wife are not skinny. I am looking to get the most response that I can form my bike. Torque to come in early and hard. Actually have never had the bike over 4,ooo rpm while on the highway. Plenty fast for me. Right now the bike has trouble pulling us up steep grades, there's no power on demand. Hope I make sense. Sometimes I don't understand myself. Thanks Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts