V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the bars be changed on an 05 Roadglide without removing the fairing? After removing the top of the instruments cowl, it looks like the front riser clamps are accessible. But for access to the rear riser bolts it looks like I will have to remove the upper fork skins, and have to take the fairing off to get to the bolts on the side of the upper tubes that hold the skins on. Also will need to remove the ignition switch lock too. Is it really this complicated to swap the bars?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yeah, it's all got to come off.

However, you don't have to pull the fairing to get to the torx bolts out of the plastic fairing skins. Just turn the bars, and the work space is vastly improved. Much eaiser to do on a lift...

Ignition is no big deal either. Put the key in, twist past acc. while pushing the release button on the bottom, and it pops out. Exact procedure is outlined in the service manual.

I changed mine in about an hour, including the cables...

·
Registered
13 Posts
FWIW
Just take a dremmel tool and cut two u shapes out to get to the bottem bolts
That way you dont need to take all the other stuff off

·
Registered
116 Posts
All you have to take off is the guage housing top. Remove 4 bolts that hold the palstic that holds the guages. You can pull apart in the middle and work it forward be careful not to force. You can get enough room to get allen in to loosen rear screws. I changed mine in approx 45 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies and the multiple plans of attack. Guess I'll try the easist first, and use escalating force from their.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts