V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been really lookin' hard at a new pair of engineer boots. But havin' a hard time deciding between the two !

So ANYONE that has owned the chippewa brand please chime in. I did a search already & it seemed the boot thread got on a union rant.

Right now I wear the Faded Glory Harley boots with the zipper on the side & I have two admit they are really comfortable. Just lookin' for something a little more heavy duty.

THANKS in advance to those that respond !!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I went with a pair of Chippewa Harness Boots.

These are the best boots I have ever owned.

They were comfortable right out of the box.

They have held up well after one season of riding.

Lastly they are made in the USA!!!!!{salute(

http://www.bootsusa.com/Chippewa%20Boots/harness_boots.htm $119.95 for blems or $154.95 1st Quality.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I've got a pair of the Chippewa 27862's. They are great boots only downside is they are pretty heavy. 42 years ago I nearly lost my left foot in and accident. I was wearing loafers. With this in mind I put up with the weight of the boots. I've got over 30,000 miles of riding on my current pair and they show very little signs of wear.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Chippewa...every pair I've ever purchased lasted nearly forever and considering I wear them to work, ride, play and walk around in every day that's a long time. The comfort is outstanding too...you can get them Thinsulate lined, Cordura lined, plain slip leather, lace up, zip up, velcro, velcrow & zip, lace & zip, lug sole, smooth sole, leather toe, steel toe...etc...and they are made in the USA...

Where else can ya buy a lined shoe for just over a hundred dollars???

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Has anyone ever tried Russell Boots? They are hand made in Wisconsin. Pretty expensive around $350 but they look very comfortable. When I hit the lottery I might spring for a pair.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have been wearing a pair of the 17" Chippewa boots with velcro closures for about 3 years and love them. They are a little heavy for long hikes, but I bought them for riding boots and they are great for that. I'd buy another pair in a minute, but I think I have another 10 or 15 years left in these.

·
Banned
249 Posts
marvin4239 said:
Has anyone ever tried Russell Boots? They are hand made in Wisconsin. Pretty expensive around $350 but they look very comfortable. When I hit the lottery I might spring for a pair.
385 a pair ? wtf? better be made out of the finest female parts

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I ride in Red Wing. They are #1116 11" pull-on engineer boots with a vibram sole.

I support Red Wing because they are a company that realizes that not every man was born with a D width foot.

Those Chippewa Harness boots look great, but bet you can't buy them in a B width.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have 2 pair of chippewa's I ride with them all the time,They are heavy,I got the bike sideways and put my foot down and the bike snapped into my foot
and alli got was a amall bruise,I know not to put my foot down but my dirt bike reflexes took over because it has been a long long time since I have ghad a bike bike out of shape.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
RDKGSportyRdr said:
Been really lookin' hard at a new pair of engineer boots. But havin' a hard time deciding between the two !

So ANYONE that has owned the chippewa brand please chime in. I did a search already & it seemed the boot thread got on a union rant.

Right now I wear the Faded Glory Harley boots with the zipper on the side & I have two admit they are really comfortable. Just lookin' for something a little more heavy duty.
THANKS in advance to those that respond !!
Hey, Sporty, check out this other thread: Chippewa/RedWings
on the board. Quite a discussion on your very subject.

o~\o

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check out Viberg boots at viberg.com. Several styles, great quality, virtually bulletproof and made in Victoria, Canada. You can fax them an outline of your feet for sizing - and they will work with you if they don't fit just right (as long as you test drive IN the house). One caveat - breaking them in takes patience.

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Seems to me that most of the leather boots marketed specifically for motorcycle don't have a Gore Tex lining yet are still quite expensive. That's BS. Waterproof is really important to me. What, does everybody just ride in good weather? Cruiserboots makes some waterproof stuff but they are pricey.

I just went through my Cabelas catalog. They offer various leather workboots with Gore Tex and/or Thinsulate with or without a steel toe at prices starting at $70 and moving up to over $200. These boots aren't targeted at the motorcycle market, but I see no reason why one of the offerings wouldn't work well.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Do the Chippewas have removable insert? That is what wears out foirst for me. Anybody here wear 17" I cops with them. Burned my calves a few times. Curious.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Chippewa or Red Wing

I have both, Chippewa Engineers with steel toe and Red Wing 9" lace ups with zipper. The Chippewa Engineers are great, great quality and now 3 seasons into them they are comfprtable and have many years left -- only downside is that you can't really walk a long distance in them (> 1 mile) and still have them remain comfortable.

The Red Wing lace ups are very very comfortable and I wear them in hot weather or if a lot of walkning is required. They do not give you the same protection from cold or rain though

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I have the 17" steel toe Chippewa's and wear them on longer cooler rides. I have an insert in them too and have been quite pleased. They are heavy and take a bit to break in. Excellent water resistance, warm and great protection but you wouldn't want to walk a long way in them. I have a pair of 15 year old cowboy boots that are my favorite boots to ride in. They also have 17" tops but are soft as butter and fit like a second skin. I like the protection of the taller tops.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I wore Red Wings for 30+ plus years before retiring and now I'm wearing Chippewas. In my opinion the Chippewas are much more durable than the Red Wings but as previously stated not as comfortable as the Red Wings for long distance walking. I would definately buy the Chippewas again despite the discomfort on long distance walks but at my age they may outlast me. Mine did not come with removable inserts but I have since added my own.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts