V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a good way for one person to check transmission fluid?

I mean checking motor oil is easy because you put down the jiffy stand, hop off your bike and check your oil level after a minute or two. But the transmission and primary (which I seldom check) is another story. I don't have a way to put my bike upright so I have to have someone (usually wife or son) hold it up for me so I can check the transmission fluid. This is a hassle and what about if I'm out on the road and feel a need to check the transmission fluid, do I ask a stranger for help holding up the bike?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just take out the dipstick, wipe it clean and put it back (resting on top of the threads - not screwing it back in).
Get on the bike and level it up-right for 20-30 seconds.
Put it back on a stand and check the level. :)

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Raytses said:
I just take out the dipstick, wipe it clean and put it back (resting on top of the threads - not screwing it back in).
Get on the bike and level it up-right for 20-30 seconds.
Put it back on a stand and check the level. :)
You know, that would work because on my 2005 Road King Classic's twin-cam 88 that tranny dip stick registers nothing while on the jiffy stand. Doing what you say would be perfect - thanks for such a simple solution!

I can just kick myself when the obvious eludes me.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
ike1518 said:
Is there a good way for one person to check transmission fluid?

I mean checking motor oil is easy because you put down the jiffy stand, hop off your bike and check your oil level after a minute or two. But the transmission and primary (which I seldom check) is another story. I don't have a way to put my bike upright so I have to have someone (usually wife or son) hold it up for me so I can check the transmission fluid. This is a hassle and what about if I'm out on the road and feel a need to check the transmission fluid, do I ask a stranger for help holding up the bike?
NO.............if you do not see a leak ( oil leaking around trans) .....riudfe the damn thing until you can't ride anymore. They reallyn run great............ride it..............:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts