V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm pretty new to working on bikes, so this may be a dumb question, but...
I took off the inspection cover to check the slack in the chain, and it's kinda hard to get an accurate measure of how much upplay I have in the chain. Is there any kind of trick to get an accurate measure, or do you just sort of go by feel. It's a pretty tight squeeze getting my hand in there far enough to push up on the chain, I can't figure a good way to get a way to measure the upplay as I push on the chain.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you had a 'L' shaped object, and that object could be slid through the inspection opening and used to lift the primary chain you would be able to see the relative movement of the 'L' shaped object in the inspection window thus indicating the movement of the chain. Hope this makes sense. The 'L' shaped piece could be made from lexan or steel rod with a 90 degree bend. Should'nt take long to knock one out. Big Dog

·
BFFB
833 Posts
primary chain

i use a cheapo give away ruler with a logo on it,,,,its very thin and flexible,,,,i dont trust my feel since i have only looked at it 5 times,,,,25k on my bike,,,what i dont get is its never been outside the correct range,,,why isnt my chain stretching fx dean?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
irbigdog said:
If you had a 'L' shaped object, and that object could be slid through the inspection opening and used to lift the primary chain you would be able to see the relative movement of the 'L' shaped object in the inspection window thus indicating the movement of the chain. Hope this makes sense. The 'L' shaped piece could be made from lexan or steel rod with a 90 degree bend. Should'nt take long to knock one out. Big Dog
Thanks Bigdog.....I feel like a moron for not thinking of that. I knew there was a simple solution and I was just thinking too hard to come up with it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tried to check my chain on Saturday, and could
only remove two of those stupid TORX screws.
I rounded/ruined two cheapie TORX tools trying.
Ordered a good one from Snap-On, hope that will
work.

Any one replace those things with allen screws?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
To be accurate on the primary chain, be sure and check it at more than one spot. Sometimes there is a bit of difference. I've seen more than one that was way too tight. Any adjustment should be done at the tightest spot on the chain. Remove plugs, jack rear end up, put bike in 5th gear and slowly roll engine to check.

Use never-seize on the chain insp cover bolts and the derby cover bolts. Remember they are T27. Water gets in behind the bolt head and interacts with steel bolt and aluminum covers. With never-seize on it, there will be no more problems.

I've got over 60K on my bike and only had to adjust the primary chain one time at the 1000 mile service but I also don't hot rod it. Normal use will not stretch it very much at all as long as it's lubed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
FWIW, Loose Chain Caused A Knocking...

My partner, who bought an '02 Fatboy, had a knocking in the primary at ~3,500 miles. It turned out to be the primary chain was loose (he had the 1,000 mile service by a Dealer).

Adjusted and OK now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had about the same situation as your partner, Mitch.
The 1000 mile done by a dealer- at about the 3000 miles
I could hear a noise from the primary side. Sure enough
the chain was loose. Adjusted it and no more noise, Mmmm..

·
Registered
380 Posts
hey guys i had the same isue my chain made noise at 2500 to 3000 miles after the dealer did the first service, adjusted the chain and it has not changed in the last 20,000 miles and i service it avery other oil change ande i change oil at 2500 miles. i be4leive in clean lubricants make the bike stay together and i can ride not fix.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts