V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you check compression? Do you need to take the heads off and make measurements to figure out the compression? I have scottsman heads, 37B Cams, Flat Top Pistons, SE Adj Pushrods, Cycle Shack slip on Exhaust. Mechanic put on Stock head Gaskets rather than cometic gaskets.

Was wondering if there was a way to check compression without taking hte heads off and if it makes sense to bring my bike back in to have heads milled to increase compression. If I have stock head gaskets and have heads milled to increase compression will I gain that much in performance?

Also, going to add Ignition Module and HSR 42 Carb. Then get bike tuned.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
cdirk said:
How do you check compression? Do you need to take the heads off and make measurements to figure out the compression? I have scottsman heads, 37B Cams, Flat Top Pistons, SE Adj Pushrods, Cycle Shack slip on Exhaust. Mechanic put on Stock head Gaskets rather than cometic gaskets.

Was wondering if there was a way to check compression without taking hte heads off and if it makes sense to bring my bike back in to have heads milled to increase compression. If I have stock head gaskets and have heads milled to increase compression will I gain that much in performance?

Also, going to add Ignition Module and HSR 42 Carb. Then get bike tuned.
With 175-185 psi cold cranking compression you are right where this cam likes it. If you are much lower or inconsistent between the 2 cylinders, do a leak down test to determine the potenial cause. If that turns out OK, you maybe low in static compression and that can be adressed in various ways.
Have fun

1 - 3 of 3 Posts