V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
It doesn't work. My city like many doesn't use the inductive loop for traffic signals. They're using computers with special cameras that sense when a vehicle is present.

·
" WFFW "
729 Posts
I've got a couple of magnets under mine , works like a charm in my area but all these small towns around me use the wire under the pavement loop thingy .

·
Registered
190 Posts
Might work and then again .....

The important thing is to roll over the tar seal that covers the loop, then stop with your wheel on the edge of the loop parallel with the bike. The rim is very close to the road surface and has a better chance to induce a current change in the loop than a magnet several inches above the road. You can test the magnetic field of a magnet by placing some steel shavings on a table and bringing the magnet slowly close to them. When you see them start to move, that's the approximate distance of edge of the magnetic field from the magnet. If that distance is less than the distance from the mounting position of the magnet on the bike to the road surface, then the magnet likely won't work. Another variable is the sensitivity of the loop circuitry, and it is adjustable by traffic engineers. It has to be high enough so that it works with small/high vehicles in the lane, but not sensitive enough that large/wide vehicles trigger it from adjacent lanes.

Gary

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Sixgun said:
http://www.metacafe.com/w/828731 {salute( (DO you think it works??)
If you'll do a search on here for "Green Light" switch you'll find ALL kinds of comments and such on these. Have been around for a number of years now. I do know that I've attached a couple computer hard drive magnets to my underframe and it works. Can't see spending that kind of $$$$ on some magnets with I already have a bunch of 'em.

o~\o

·
Registered
181 Posts
Negative Experience Here...

...with magnets. There are several lights in my area that regularly trap me. I got one of those strong magnets at the stealership and strapped it to my frame just ahead of the kickstand. I've tried every approach possible I think, trying to make it work...no joy.

At least I'm only out $10 :dry:

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Is this like deer whistles? Not really sure if it works but if enough people have them that must mean they do? :whatever:

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Why bother. I thought that if a light does not want to change for your vehicle you could roll on through... That is what I have been doing.. No problems yet... NO MAGNETS REQUIRED>>..LOL

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
GaryInSanDiego said:
The important thing is to roll over the tar seal that covers the loop, then stop with your wheel on the edge of the loop parallel with the bike. The rim is very close to the road surface and has a better chance to induce a current change in the loop than a magnet several inches above the road. You can test the magnetic field of a magnet by placing some steel shavings on a table and bringing the magnet slowly close to them. When you see them start to move, that's the approximate distance of edge of the magnetic field from the magnet. If that distance is less than the distance from the mounting position of the magnet on the bike to the road surface, then the magnet likely won't work. Another variable is the sensitivity of the loop circuitry, and it is adjustable by traffic engineers. It has to be high enough so that it works with small/high vehicles in the lane, but not sensitive enough that large/wide vehicles trigger it from adjacent lanes.

Gary
True. ( I just asked the TE that works with me).
Harleys should not have any difficulty with tripping these loop detectors. Also, magnets have not effect on them. It is the mass of ferrous metals that do. Park your Harley over a line on a loop detector, not in the center of it. It will trip it. Just remember, the loop detector doesn't automatically make the light turn, it just tells the system you are there, and then begins the cycle. Otherwise, the mainline just stays green, until the side street detector is triggered. The cameras are the best system, as they don't seem to discriminate against the plastic *** bikes... heheh.

·
Registered
14 Posts
While reading other threads like this one, I applied a rare earth magnet to the bottom of my scoot near the kick stand. This magnet has a pulling power of 35 lbs. Yes it does work. BUT you have to travel along the wire at the light. This works well since I have mounted the magnet on the left side of the bike and since we all should be on the left side of the lane it works well and with no effort. I have been stuck at many lights and find since I have installed this it works wonders and allows the controls in the light to sense when I am at the intersection.
As a side bar. The magnet as it passes over the wire creates inductance which causes the control to sense. This inductance in a cage is as large or larger because of the mass of metal in the automobile. No matter the size of the bike you cannot match the indictance of a car. Installing the magnet allows you to be seen by the control. Its a cheap way to go and also does not cause issue with the LEO. I have sat at lights for 4 cycles only to go on a red because in the rural areas no cars come behined to trip the scensor.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Kill the ignition, then re-start it. Works for me!

If it doesn't, I can legally run the light when safe to do so. Faulty traffic equipment.

Don't be a smart-ass with the cop! :Dennis

·
Flying low
812 Posts
Two comments...

1.) If the magnets are so flippin' strong, you probably don't need to tape them to the frame. Duh. :)

2.) I had seen this kind of thing advertised and tried it with a couple of hard drive voice-coil motor magnets - permanent magnets don't get much stronger than that. No dice. So I asked a traffic engineer while we were working together to adjust the sensitivity of the coil on the signal going out of my neighborhood. He told me a magnet wouldn't have any effect at all, only a sufficient metallic mass will trigger the signal. The best way is to pull directly on top of the tar line marking one edge of the coil, to put as much metal as possible as close to the wire as possible. That seems to work pretty well without magnets, which never seemed to make the slightest difference.

·
Lawn Enforcement Officer
77 Posts
The loop sensors work by detecting the large mass of metal entering the loop. This changes the inductance of the coil in the road (sort of like putting a nail inside the loops of wire to make an electromagnet when you were a kid.) Instead of dragging a huge chunk of steel with you, the magnet cuts out the middleman, and trips the sensor (assuming it's big enough that is.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here in Pa the northeast and certainly on the west coast the magnet works very well. For a 10 dollar investment it operates and functions for me. Just trying to help and shed light on the subject.-2$en#e-

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Clutchcargopa said:
Here in Pa the northeast and certainly on the west coast the magnet works very well. For a 10 dollar investment it operates and functions for me. Just trying to help and shed light on the subject.-2$en#e-
How do ya know for sure it's the magnet?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cop_Stanger said:
How do ya know for sure it's the magnet?

On the way to work every morning I would get stuck at two seperate lights. Once having installed the magnet the lights change within a close time frame from my arrival at the lights. This has been proven on many days while riding to work. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
My throttle always works well for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts