V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Life is grand!
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just swapped out my Primary oil and will filling it up again and came across a note I made in my manual that the bike should be standing upright (NOT on the kickstand) when checking the Primary oil level. Hmmmmm but now I'm not so sure. Can anyone clairify this? Should the level be checked with the bike on the kickstand or standing straight? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I just pour in the whole quart and leave it at that. But if you need to check I believe it's suposed to be upright, which is hard to do by yourself without a jack.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
i have no idea how much goes in mine here's how i do it.bike on jiffy stand.take off derby cover,look where oil level is,drain oil,refill to the same level that it was at.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
bike level. i slide a 4'x6' block of wood under the frame to stand it upright. i've got a lowered roadking.-2$en#e-

·
Registered
182 Posts
After doing the primary lube change over twenty times I have learned a couple things. One is that ONE quart of lube ALWAYS fills the primary to its required level, the other big thing is that with this information it is only nessessary to remove the small cover to check the chain tension as well as change the lube.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
One more to chime in...

I just pour a quart of oil through a funnel in the chain inspection hole. (Same as dcman27's wisdom...)

I have never checked the level either. When I change the oil, I change the primary and the transmission fluid too...

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Tough checking level, is supposed to be upright. I just put a quart in too. I got a leak, so if I am nervous will look in chain inspection hole. I also been changing it more often, its only a quart and 20 minutes.

I got peice of poly hose and stick a funnel in one end other end in chain inspection hole.

Hopefully this winter will fix leak, got to pull the primary off to repair trainny leak.

·
Life is grand!
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your replies. BTW, I didn't ask how much oil, my question was about whether I should check the level with the bike upright or on the kickstand.

Called the local HD shop today and they said to check the bike upright.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Yea YoDA, I beleive the point was that it is a no brainer and does not need to be checked.
Regradless of how much fluid it takes, there is no need to remove the derby cover to check it.
Remove the inspection cover, check the chain tension, adjust if necessary, dump in the recommended amount of oil, put the cover back on and ride.

·
Life is grand!
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LittleBear said:
Yea YoDA, I beleive the point was that it is a no brainer and does not need to be checked.
I agree.... that's why I DIDN'T ask the question about how MUCH oil...

...but since I'm doing the 20,000 maintenance, and I have the cover off anyways, and I simply WANT to check the level because I'm there, all I was curious about was do I check it on the stand or vertical. Simple question. nuff said. :beatdh:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I always take the derby cover off and the inspection cover. This allows me to check the primary chain and adjust the clutch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts