V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway for me to check the primary oil level without the Softail upright? Can the level be check thru the primary chain tension cover? Thanks.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
OneBlackFly said:
Is there anyway for me to check the primary oil level without the Softail upright? Can the level be check thru the primary chain tension cover? Thanks.
Yes. You just have to make a note/take picture or mark inside as to where it is after you have just filled it. Just so you can remember.

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
I think you'll have trouble finding the level looking into the chain tensioner cover. Just as easy to pull the derby cover off. Level should be 2 1/2 inches below the center screw on the clutch assy. Looking thru this hole, I still need a flashlight.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
OneBlackFly said:
Why do you need to check the level? Do you have a leak? When I drain mine I just add the correct amount and forget about it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
04GLIDE said:
Why do you need to check the level? Do you have a leak? When I drain mine I just add the correct amount and forget about it.
Your's is the opinion of most rider to whom I've asked the same question. What puzzled me is that in the Owner's Manual, it says 'check monthly.' Seemed like a nuisance to me so I asked for a quicker way to do the check. Everywhere else in the Owner's Manual and Service Manuaal, it says replace at 5000 miles. I'll just replace the SYN3 at 5000 miles and replace the o-ring seal as specified.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
If the bike's not level, ie on the kickstand, and you pull either the derby cover or the pri chain insp cover, primary fluid will run out.

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
Ed Y...If filled to correct level, there will be no leaks with covers off. I have yet to find a HD that took the "suggested" amounts of lubricants whether it be engine, trans, or primary. That's why I do the visual checks. Over or under filled ain't good, perfect is ok for me.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
When I will it orginally I just measure and dump it in. Hard to see in there, especially by yourself.

To check the level between changes I just pull the chain inspection cover and make sure there some in there. I got a small leak. But not as worried about this as, engine. Maybe mistaken but I don't see it as critical. Just big oil bath.

FYI-got my primary off, so hopefully just forget about it for 5k miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts