V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess this goes under "lektrik"... if not moderators can move.
2004 Heritage Check Engine light came on briefly. Bike sat for a few weeks, I've been busy with other stuff. So as usual, oil sumps a little. On start up, the oil light stayed on for maybe 5 seconds and then went off. However, the Check Engine light stayed on maybe 8 seconds. I rode it for an hour and everything acted normal. That was a few days ago. Went to start it again today, the Oil Light went out right away but the Check Engine light stayed on again for maybe 8 seconds. Rode it for an hour again and all was good. This time I shut it off and restarted it. The Check Engine light came on for a second, went out and then two seconds later came on again for about two seconds and then went out. So ran diagnostics thinking it stored something from when the oil light came on and came up with P1009. Incorrect Password EFI? WTF! Cleared it and tried twice more and got nothing. Any ideas? What could that be?

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't offer anything other than disconnect the battery for a minute to clear and see if'n it comes back.
Disclaimer* This is probably the wrong thing to do :D
LOL! Thanks Hillcat, I believe that is not the correct thing to do. From what I read, I cleared the Code and then restarted the bike three times and checked for Codes again. Nothing came back. I believe it shows "Historical" and "New" codes. I just dont understand what that code means, or what would have caused it.

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay I've done some more searching, mostly on this forum. And I've discovered something interesting! Most of the same code questions were from people that have the same year bike! There's nothing concrete here because they all suggest the TSSM or ECM was replaced, and not properly paired. Not the case with mine. I've had this bike since new and those modules are original. However, I'm wondering if this was a "Historical" code due to me rushing through a start procedure by not waiting for the system to run and the light go out before thumbing the starter. I usually turn on the ignition and wait for the lights to go out, but I remember rushing it a few times in a gas station or when I had to kill it to fan my member card at our gate when I couldn't get neutral. It says it's a communication error.

·
Super Moderator
21,737 Posts
If it has a data port, hook it up to a scan tool and see what turned the light on. If not, then see what comes up when you pull the codes from the speedo head. If you get nothing, then set a code, just to make sure the head can still record and report codes.

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it has a data port, hook it up to a scan tool and see what turned the light on. If not, then see what comes up when you pull the codes from the speedo head. If you get nothing, then set a code, just to make sure the head can still record and report codes.
Well I don't have a scan tool for Harley's but I did the diagnostic from the dash as directed in the manual. It threw just the P1009 code. Then I cleared it and it hasn't appeared yet again. My initial post goes into a bit more detail.

·
Super Moderator
21,737 Posts
Well I don't have a scan tool for Harley's but I did the diagnostic from the dash as directed in the manual. It threw just the P1009 code. Then I cleared it and it hasn't appeared yet again. My initial post goes into a bit more detail.
If you are getting password codes, and are not entering passwords, then there is an issue with the ecm or tsm/tssm. Never messed with that on a Softail and I don't know what equipment your Softail actually has installed. But I can tell you how that works on a bagger a few years newer. You reprogram the password, then see if it sets a code. If it does not, then all is good. If it does and IIRC it was 1009 and 1010 that could be set, you get to start swapping out stuff with known good parts. TSM first, the repeat the password reset test. If it codes again, replace the ecm. On this particular bagger, the dealer replaced both. I think the ecm was what was bad, and they didn't want to put the tsm back on the shelf.

This scooter had been setting the mill lamp with no codes at the speedo, off and on for over a year. The scan tool showed a string of historic codes that the speedo never reported.

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are getting password codes, and are not entering passwords, then there is an issue with the ecm or tsm/tssm. Never messed with that on a Softail and I don't know what equipment your Softail actually has installed. But I can tell you how that works on a bagger a few years newer. You reprogram the password, then see if it sets a code. If it does not, then all is good. If it does and IIRC it was 1009 and 1010 that could be set, you get to start swapping out stuff with known good parts. TSM first, the repeat the password reset test. If it codes again, replace the ecm. On this particular bagger, the dealer replaced both. I think the ecm was what was bad, and they didn't want to put the tsm back on the shelf.

This scooter had been setting the mill lamp with no codes at the speedo, off and on for over a year. The scan tool showed a string of historic codes that the speedo never reported.
If I read this code correctly, it says "incorrect password" or something similar like communication error? I haven't done any password changes since I created the initial one when it was new. It has the SERT which was installed by the selling sealer and the only problem I can recall ever was when I was on a trip and the "Key Symbol" stayed on. A dealer just reset it for me. That was maybe 10 years ago. This time the "Check Engine" lamp stayed on briefly but the bike ran fine. When I ran the Diagnostics through the speedo it came up with the P1009 as Historical I believe because I cleared it and it didn't come back. At least not yet. As I understand it, Historical Codes will go away and "current" ones will remain. Are you suggesting I reinstall the Password now? Or should I wait to see if it throws the code again and then try it? Or take it to the (shudder) dealer?

·
Super Moderator
21,737 Posts
If I read this code correctly, it says "incorrect password" or something similar like communication error? I haven't done any password changes since I created the initial one when it was new. It has the SERT which was installed by the selling sealer and the only problem I can recall ever was when I was on a trip and the "Key Symbol" stayed on. A dealer just reset it for me. That was maybe 10 years ago. This time the "Check Engine" lamp stayed on briefly but the bike ran fine. When I ran the Diagnostics through the speedo it came up with the P1009 as Historical I believe because I cleared it and it didn't come back. At least not yet. As I understand it, Historical Codes will go away and "current" ones will remain. Are you suggesting I reinstall the Password now? Or should I wait to see if it throws the code again and then try it? Or take it to the (shudder) dealer?
I would get my hands on the diagnostic manual for that scooter, and follow the diagnostic ladder for the 1009 code. It's probably the same as above, but you want know until you actually look.

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everything I've read says it the same. "Incorrect Password". It's a communication error between the TSSM and the ECM. I found this from an older post by a forum member...

"Could be historical code for a bazillion reasons like an aborted start or wetness or a power surge (battery cable on/battery cable off) or the moon being in the wrong phase. Clear the code and if it reoccurs then you may have an issue."

Since it hasn't presented itself again, I'm inclined to wait and see if it does rear it's ugly little head again. It could be from sitting and going into storage mode. It then didn't respond to the fob and I cycled the ignition on/off and then double tapped the fob before the alarm went off. That's my guess at this point.

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And now this has turned into something else. My Irish Luck. Went out to start the bike and look for any codes and it wouldn't start. The starter almost cranks it but then starts to just give the dreaded rattle of the solenoid. Quick tests show 13 volts to the top of the solenoid so I'm thinking it needs a rebuild. Can I get to it without removing the oil tank? Looks kinda challenging. But, no codes came up!

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I missed my own rule when your bike won't start, verify the damned battery 1st! I figured with a quick terminal and voltage check and having 12.9 volts to the top of the starter solenoid meant it had to be the solenoid. NOT! It was the battery. But hey I got another 7 years out of a battery! So, replaced it, started the bike and no codes. Now I'm wondering if that ECM to TSSM "handshake" misfire was from the battery going and me not paying attention. I gripe a lot about my bad "Irish Luck" but I may have to count my blessings. I could have been stranded out in the country somewhere. Breaking down in the garage is great!

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, if anyone is following this.... I started the bike this am and the Fuel Pump made the noise again. This time it was longer and more drawn out in kind of a tapering off to the normal sshhh sound. Not throwing a check engine light or code so I believe it was the battery. So I rode to the corner gas station, took out a loan, and filled the tank. $5.199 per gallon! But I figured if it wouldn't start at least I'd be at mini market right? So no noise from the Fuel Pump. Normal sound. Rode a little over an hour and when I got home shut it off and then did the restart thing. No weird noise. So, should I replace it? I think it's losing prime. If so what brand do I go with? I'm bigtime OCD and think at some point it's going to strand my ass somewhere.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,452 Posts
Okay, if anyone is following this.... I started the bike this am and the Fuel Pump made the noise again. This time it was longer and more drawn out in kind of a tapering off to the normal sshhh sound. Not throwing a check engine light or code so I believe it was the battery. So I rode to the corner gas station, took out a loan, and filled the tank. $5.199 per gallon! But I figured if it wouldn't start at least I'd be at mini market right? So no noise from the Fuel Pump. Normal sound. Rode a little over an hour and when I got home shut it off and then did the restart thing. No weird noise. So, should I replace it? I think it's losing prime. If so what brand do I go with? I'm bigtime OCD and think at some point it's going to strand my ass somewhere.
I might be missing something here, I thought this thread was about an error code related to a "password".

Are you asking about replacing the fuel pump? What noise is the fuel pump making? It should run to build pressure when you turn the ignition on. It would not be unusual for the pump to not run if the bike has only been off for a short time as it may hold pressure for a couple minutes.

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I might be missing something here, I thought this thread was about an error code related to a "password".

Are you asking about replacing the fuel pump? What noise is the fuel pump making? It should run to build pressure when you turn the ignition on. It would not be unusual for the pump to not run if the bike has only been off for a short time as it may hold pressure for a couple minutes.
That's what started this. But I believe it was throwing the Check Engine lamp due to a bad battery. The code was apparently a historical code since replacing the battery and clearing the code has shown no reoccurrence. I've read that code can be caused by low current, or an aborted start. Both of which have happened. In the midst of all this, the fuel pump starts squealing. So, not sure if I should just replace it, or wait.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts