V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a few others were trying out the chat room this evening, It's pretty simple and working good. I think this will add a lot of fun and education to the forum. We will have to schedule some tech nights and bring your own beer party nights in the near future. It's pretty cool. Thanks David

Later guys,

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I've seen other chat operations, FifthGear and this one is very impressive. DP has really put some work into it. ;)

The chat option will permit members to have "real time" exchange of ideas. The chat room will be very helpful for tech questions and trying to arrange meetings/get togethers and just having fun!!!!

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
HIPPO said:
Doesn't seem to work from here

Just get a blank box that says "chat for Hippo" and nothing else.

Oh, the chat room is JAVA based. You need to ensure your web browser has JAVASCRIPT enabled.

I am compiling a FAQ with information on this.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
dprice said:

Oh, the chat room is JAVA based.

"JAVA based?" You mean like some kind a Starbucks or somethin??

Ya need to put some kinda warning sign out front.

MORMONS BEWARE JAVA BASED ROOM

Bla HahahahWeDontNeedNoStinkinJavaPassTheBeer HA!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Oh, the chat room is JAVA based. You need to ensure your web browser has JAVASCRIPT enabled.

Well, went and enabled JAVA, and still no dice. Maybe the security settings are too high. Guess I'll wait for the FAQ.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Just saw it a little while ago.
All the things mentioned in the "trouble connecting" section are enabled in the advanced internet options section. The virtual Java player or whatever is obviously included because the is a box to enable it, and I don't have the firewall enabled either when I try.

It obviously logs me on because it say's "chat for Hippo", but the box below where all the stuff would be is just in background color and on the top left it shows a little icon like when a picture is unable to be shown.

No big deal as I can live without it, but now I'm curious why it doesn't work.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Well ya got me curious so I went in. Loaded quick and said. "WELCOME", in a nice female voice! ;)

Looked around and found myself talking to me. LOL all alone, but it does work.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
HIPPO said:
Just saw it a little while ago.
All the things mentioned in the "trouble connecting" section are enabled in the advanced internet options section. The virtual Java player or whatever is obviously included because the is a box to enable it, and I don't have the firewall enabled either when I try.

It obviously logs me on because it say's "chat for Hippo", but the box below where all the stuff would be is just in background color and on the top left it shows a little icon like when a picture is unable to be shown.

No big deal as I can live without it, but now I'm curious why it doesn't work.

Hippo,

Read the Help Manual and then look in the Trouble Connecting area. Where it says JAVA, one of those is a link. Click on it and update your browser's JAVA script.

You are logging in but the JAVA engine is not kicking on.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
In case someone else has to go thru the same ****, there are two links on the help page, one for IE and the other apparently for Netscape, IE, and others.
The second link results in "page not available"
The first link just takes you into the Microsoft download central and it's anyones guess what to download.
If you type "java virtual machine" into the search section it shows a number of VM version updates depending on the browser you are running.
After downloading the 5.5MB for WIN98 it started working.

The feature where you can alter the font size from a dropdown menu by rightclicking the text field appears to be disabled or at least doesn't work for me.

Other then that I let a couple of *belches* go, because the menu did not want to let me *fart*

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Well one thing I noticed is the no cussing allowed thing. I was typing the word Spyglass and was told no profanity allowed. You cannot type the word Glass either.

So it is ok to allow a Hippo to belch but ya can't say Spyglass? LOL!

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
I had to "tame" her down in the control panel last night. You should be able to say SPYGLASS now.....You could have always been creative and say SPYGLA$$, LOL.

Hippo, I highlighted the links and added your input for the download process. Also fixed the other dead link. Thanks for your feedback!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts