V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know how this happened but here it is..

Waiting for some parts, can I charge on the tender while I wait??

Curious why this happened in the first place, my bike is only 5 years old and has 12k miles..??
(have a new regulator and battery , this should be the only issue left in the charging system)

Just to make sure, is this the appropriate charger -> Amazon tender link?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I would get a larger tender, that is only .75 amp. Mine is 2 amp. Yes you can charge it, I would leave the battery disconnected from the bike while charging, since you working on it. Any part can fail at any time. Sometime it,s just bad luck. I know you bought a new regulator but I would buy a total alternator kit from Cycle Electrics, cheaper then OEM, and better, and replace it all.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I'll second what Fatbagger said. No doubt about it, you let the magic smoke outta that one! Hope you've got the windows open...

Sent from my water damaged bag phone

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would get a larger tender, that is only .75 amp. Mine is 2 amp. Yes you can charge it, I would leave the battery disconnected from the bike while charging, since you working on it. Any part can fail at any time. Sometime it,s just bad luck. I know you bought a new regulator but I would buy a total alternator kit from Cycle Electrics, cheaper then OEM, and better, and replace it all.
for the tender , I just want to charge it while waiting for the parts to arrive ...take it off while installing

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Go ahead and use it. It won't hurt the battery. It's just not optimal for the size of battery. And you have plenty of time waiting for parts.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go ahead and use it. It won't hurt the battery. It's just not optimal for the size of battery. And you have plenty of time waiting for parts.

what is "plenty" to you?

my bike usually dies in two - three weeks if I dont charge it

but of course, thats with the shitty universal batt

·
Registered
103 Posts
X2 on the cycle electric kit.
Do it all and be done with a quality kit.
Or else you might be doing it again in the near future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had very [email protected]@D Luck with this "BATTERY-EXTENDER" from AutoZone @ about $ 50.00

I have one on my:
1995 EVO Dyna Convertible = battery approaching TEN (10) Years (always on the "TENDER" if not riding )
K2500 Chevy Truck (permanently attached )
John DEERE Lawn TRACTOR
1993 Mazda MIATA ( Permanently Attached )
I have found that these BATTERY-EXTENDERS "condition" the batteries as well as keep them at the PEAK Charge & then "FLOAT"
my buddies seem to buy Bike Batteries every two Years
... while one on my 1985 FXRP came "used" to me when I purchased the bike & then lasted me yet another TWELVE (12) Years ...

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts