V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stored my bike today after a quick 20 minute ride. I took out the battery. I hooked it up to a new charger that I just bought from Canadian Tire. It's a 1.5A trickle charger with "Automatic Charger/Maintainer with Float-Mode Monitoring". From reading the vague instructions, it appears I just keep it plugged in and attached to the battery, and when spring comes, I unplug it and put the battery back in the bike.

My question: Is this what the Battery-Tender and others do - just plug it in and leave it till spring? My brother says he doesnt trust a hooked up battery in the house (basement for me) and he only plugs it in for 12 hours once a month.

The indicator light on my charger says 'Charged'. From the instructions it appears that after a while of 'discharging naturally, the charger turns to 'charge mode' and brings it up again. It states, "under this condition, called maintain, most batteries can be left charging indefinately".

So am I OK leaving it plugged in till spring???

Thanks guys.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
I use the "Battery Tender" type which has a short wiring harness that stays hooked to the battery year round so I don't have to remove the battery from the bike for storage. :cool:

Plugging a battery into a charger for 12 hours per month is more charge than it would normally need with a trickle charger -- in other words it is just over kill. Plug it in till spring. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
I've considered a floating charger. Wally World has one for about $14 bucks.

I've always used a trickle charger that came with a harness to attach to yur battery. There is a round hole in the plate just above and behind the started that I store it in. I pull it out when needed. I charge my bike once a month overnight I'f I dont' ride it that month during the winter (very rare not too). I also charge my jet-ski battery overnight at the begining of each month during non-riding season. I'm on my 3rd year for the ski battery and still have the original in my scoot.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'm not familiar with the make and model charger that you purchased, however, if it operates like the Battery Tender does, you can hook it to the battery, plug it in and forget about it till spring.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
road_king said:
I'm not familiar with the make and model charger that you purchased, however, if it operates like the Battery Tender does, you can hook it to the battery, plug it in and forget about it till spring.
If your reply was directed at me, Mine is an old Shauer 1 Amp MC/ATV charger with a selector switch from 6-12 volts. I'm sure it is not fully automatic. I forgot and left it on my jet ski battery for several days (the original battery) and it cooked the water from it. Shortly after that I had to replace it.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Where I live, there are periods when I can ride all during the year...sorry. So, I really never store my bike. I just keep on a ridin'. :)

I put the bike on the Battery Tender when I park it and take it off when I ride. The new HD sealed batteries are fine with this. There's no need to remove the battery with a battery tender and a cable hookup.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Didn't want UltraClassic to be alone, it was in the mid-70's today here. That's one of the reasons I retired here, the year round riding.

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
In the Mid Atlantic too

I don't live in the sunny south but I've yet to store my scoot for a whole winter. It a bit of a challenge but I've been able to ride a least once per month November through March most years.

I do use a battery tender for the wife's -- her rule is to never ride when the temp is lower than my age, I keep reminding her in a few years she'll only be able to ride in mid summer around here! :hystria:

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I have a battery tender jr. it's cold here in michigan starting real soon, so I have the tender plugged into the leads I have on the battery, they come out from under the edge of the seat. I leave it plugged in all the time when I'm not riding it for legths of time and never had any problems. If I took it out like I do with the jetski batteries, I charged them put them in the basement, warm and dry, then charged before reinstalling them.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Never use a charger. Just bring the battery in the house. Maybe put a trickle on it once in the winter.

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
I guess I'm luckey never to store mine for the winter. In Texas and in Arizona winter is the riding season. But I too have the Battery Tender for those longer resting periods. Plug it in and forget it. I read too if you have an alarm, yes I do, then a battery tender is good because over time the alarm will drain the battery.

·
Registered
255 Posts
battery charging

remember if you place battery in basement do not set it on the concrete. I use a piece of wood between the floor and the battery. I am not sure if this is a old wives tale or not but old habits are hard to break. Already looking forward to spring since we are about to get 6 to 8 inches of that white crap

·
Registered
36 Posts
Battery tender

Keeping a battery under charge correctly, like with a Battery Tender, will prolong it's life by double. I work daily with storage batteries and the worst thing you can do is constantly discharge and charge them. The batteries I work with will get 15 to 18 years with proper charging and minimul discharge. Improper charging and excessive discharge will wear them out in 5 years.
When I sold my last bike, the battery was over 6 years old and still very strong. I attribute this to keeping it on a Tender almost always when I wasn't riding. I live in California and ride as much in the winter as in the summer and it's usually hooked up after each ride. A riding friend that doesn't use a Tender said he replaces his battery every two years or so. Batteries seem to fail when it's most inconvient so I take the best care of mine that I know how to. Battery Tender. By the way, I work for a phone company and all phones run off batteries. -48 vdc.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Battery I got now has 4 years, one before 5. Stored the batteries in the house. Leave it out in the late winter and fall. I am sure a tender helps, but I wouldn't overly worry abuot it either.

Vented acid batteries will last 20 years on a floating charge, the kind they use for relay protection. So I suppose 15 years is possible. But never heard of it in bike/car battery. Never seen anyone keep it on charger all the time either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts