V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 heritage softail with polished aluminum cover on tranny and primary. I was wondering will i need to drain transmission and will i need new gaskets on primary. Newbie needs help

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
I would suggest getting/reading the service manual... worth every penny... Good luck...

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
shimley said:
I have a 06 heritage softail with polished aluminum cover on tranny and primary. I was wondering will i need to drain transmission and will i need new gaskets on primary. Newbie needs help

I can only speak for my 05 Dyna Wide Glide, but when I changed out my chrome tranny top cover for black this past summer, the only additional part I needed (besides the new tranny cover) was the tranny gasket and some oil. Unfortunately I had to remove the starter and pipes to have enough clearance to get the damn cover off. In order to get the starter out you need to drain the primary fluid and remove the primary cover. I reused the exhaust gaskets, and primary cover gasket and put in some new AMSOIL 20W-50 in the primary. The softail has a different transmission (my oil reservoir is in my tranny case, yours is under your seat). Hopefully you have a little more clearance on a softail and don't have to go through all that. Fortunately I think the 06 models have eliminated the starter jackshaft. This caused me problems because I misaligned the jackshaft when I reinstalled the starter and I couldn't get the damn bike to turn over. I was scratching my head for a couple of hours. Anyway, I hope that hasn't scared you off. It was a good way to get familiar with my bike. Petrock is right though. Go on eBay or Zanotti.com and order an 06 parts catalog and an 06 service manual. The service manual was invaluable. It is the best money you will spend on your ride.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ditto on the manual just make sure you get the official Harley service manual. I just put a chrome engine kit on an '05 fxst and the manual is invaluable. Saved me about $370.

·
Registered
226 Posts
05fxsti said:
Ditto on the manual just make sure you get the official Harley service manual. I just put a chrome engine kit on an '05 fxst and the manual is invaluable. Saved me about $370.
I have an 05 FXDI and have been considering the Chrome kit especially since HD has dropped the price to $699 (less 20% = $560).

Did you install the entire kit yourself including the top end chrome?

Did you have any problems?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'd get the gaskets...better safe than sorry. Make sure you remove the bolts and MARK the bolt pattern...they are all different sizes.

When I serviced my primary I drew the primary on a piece of cardboard then stuck the bolts in cardboard so I match them up with their chrome replacements.

DON"T trust laying them out the floor between dogs & kids that **** never flies in my garage!

Get the manual :RTFB: & follow the torque recs etc. There is a pattern to reinstallation.

While that sucker is off have good look at the primary check the chain tension & the condition of the tension block.

·
Registered
108 Posts
SC_Compact said:
I have an 05 FXDI and have been considering the Chrome kit especially since HD has dropped the price to $699 (less 20% = $560).

Did you install the entire kit yourself including the top end chrome?

Did you have any problems?

Yes I did install it myself. As long as you have some wrenching skills, just follow the instructions in the service manual for removal and installation on all the parts, you won't have any problems. You will need a couple of special wrenches to torque the rockers and rocker covers if the engine is left in the frame but this is also spelled out in the service manual. One last thing, if you do get the kit, make sure all the gaskets are there before starting, I got shorted 1 tappet cover gasket in my kit.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am fairly competent with a wrench as long as I have good instructions.

I have trhe manual so I will probably give it a try come the warmer weather.

I think I will most probably leave the rockers to a prof mechanic though since I'd rather spend a couple of hundred dollars on labor versus screwing up my motor.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
"One last thing, if you do get the kit, make sure all the gaskets are there before starting, I got shorted 1 tappet cover gasket in my kit."

Oddly enough, I too was shorted one lifter block gasket. ('06 FXST) I put all the covers on except the trans top. Will attempt it some other day. If I remember correctly, the starter has to come off along with the oil tank.
Chris

·
Registered
108 Posts
The tranny cover was the biggest PIA to replace. Remove oil tank (put a piece of cardboard between tank and frame support to prevent scratching), remove primary, remove starter, replace cover. I spent about an hour trying to get that cover off without removing the starter, I did get it off but couldn't get the new one back on so I decided to follow the manual and remove the starter. Some times you gotta learn the hard way:duh?:.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts