V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

may sound stupid, but I am not so familiar with working on my 2000 FXDX.

Is there anything, I have to look for, when changing the top motor mount or can I just unscrew it and relace it (with a chrome plated one)? should it be mounted without any tension or will the motor (TC88A, rubber mounted) move when I unscrew the old mount?

Any help/hint and/or describtion how to do it best is apriciated.

Thank you in advance
Roland

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Roland said:
Hi,

may sound stupid, but I am not so familiar with working on my 2000 FXDX.

Is there anything, I have to look for, when changing the top motor mount or can I just unscrew it and relace it (with a chrome plated one)? should it be mounted without any tension or will the motor (TC88A, rubber mounted) move when I unscrew the old mount?

Any help/hint and/or describtion how to do it best is apriciated.

Thank you in advance
Roland
Welcome to the Forum.

You should obtain the correct Harley-Davidson Service Manual for your bike. The top mount is used to align the bike. There is an alignment procedure in the Service Manual that you should follow if you remove this mount.

As to chrome, the mount isn't very visible, and I don't recall ever seeing a chromed one.

FWIW, if your bike handles ok and tracks well, then I would leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
84FXRP said:
There is an alignment procedure in the Service Manual that you should follow if you remove this mount.
Thanks 84FXRP for the prompt answer, btw, tha manual is ordered but it takes about two to three weeks to get it by postal services and as I heard the original (US) is much better than the translated ones.

I agree, it is hardly visible but due to the fact I want to change the position of the ignition switch and move the horn forward, I need to replace the factory mount.

Perhaps someone can post the allignment procedure or has a link to it, it would be very helpful to me!

As said, it is a 2000 FXDX and I am glad about any support.

Thanks
Roland

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Just a suggestion but move the horn I agree they are ugly I moved mine too. Mount the igntion in the hole that was for the horn. I took my bracket off and painted it and also painted the mounting bolts/rod ends etc........
At least it is even less noticable now. Good Luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the postings but, sorry guys, it is no help for me to be told what NOT to do, I need help HOW to do it right!

Nobody here, who can provide help (maybe a quotation of the procedure or at least a link) ?????????????????????????????

Still waiting ....
Roland

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Roland said:
Thank you for the postings but, sorry guys, it is no help for me to be told what NOT to do, I need help HOW to do it right!

Nobody here, who can provide help (maybe a quotation of the procedure or at least a link) ?????????????????????????????

Still waiting ....
Roland
Roland,

How to do it right is in the Service Manual.

It is difficult to anticipate what questions you may have about the procedure. You may need to reference several sections of the manual depending on your familiarity with your bike's operation and I am unaware of an online source of Service Manuals available to the general public.

A major benefit of the Forum is advice. I think the advice you are reading is trying to warn you about the potential for problems.

In any case, the Service Manual instructions are pretty straight forward. I would carefully read: Section 1 (Maintenance): Excessive Vibration, and Section 2 (Chassis) Vehicle Alignment / Engine Mounts.

Access to the mounting bolts will be aided by a crowsfoot wrench(s) and a torque wrench should be used to put everything back together.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
If the motor and vibration level is okay now, take the old mount off. The motor will not move. Do not change the length or adjust the old mount. Set the new mount to the exact length of the old mount. Put some bolts through the old mount after you remove it and put the new mount on the bolts with the old mount to make sure they are both the same length. Lock the adjustment nuts on the new mount, recheck the length and then install it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Frank

:bowdwn: that was the answer, I hoped to get, great :thanks: !

You just met the point, I was afraid of (if the motor would move and I have to realign!).

As said, thank you very much, that makes my idea work.

BTW, it is not an optic thing, I want to move the ignition switch to the left side between the cylinders to have it better reachable when riding with my girlfriend. Perhaps as well going to change to a switch of a Wide Glide for the key is removable.

:thumbsup:
Roland

1 - 8 of 8 Posts