V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to change the stock muffs on my new 2006 HD Road King. I have been reading the forums but can make up my mind. I was looking at the V & H Ovals Slipon or the D & D Fat Cat. I am not looking for any performance gains at this point just that low deep rumble.

Any input you HOGS could give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
A riding buddy has the V&H Oval slip-ons installed on his Road King and they sound great. I used to have Samson Rolled Ovals on my bike and I thought they sounded tinny and the chrome quality sucked. You'll hear a lot of people suggest Wild Pigs which are inexpensive, loud, and so-so quality. Rinehart has slip-ons now for baggers. I haven't heard the slip-ons yet but if they sound like the true duals, IMO, nothing sounds better than Rineharts on a bagger. They will definitely give you that deep rumble you're looking for.

One suggestion I would make is to hang out at the Harley dealer on a Saturday or a bike event and listen to pipes. Don't be afraid to go up and ask someone to listen to their pipes. Everyone has been where you are now. Good luck with your decision.

·
Banned
871 Posts
rmuccino said:
I am looking to change the stock muffs on my new 2006 HD Road King. I have been reading the forums but can make up my mind. I was looking at the V & H Ovals Slipon or the D & D Fat Cat. I am not looking for any performance gains at this point just that low deep rumble.

Any input you HOGS could give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Basically, ANY exhaust that is NOT made or sold by H-D will improve sound and performance. Those that you listed sound good and perform fairly well, although there are much better choices available.

This next part is IMPORTANT!! If you change the exhaust, you need change the air cleaner/filter and rejet the carb, or it won't run well. The intake and exhaust must be balanced. The next, most important step is to get the bike dyno-tuned after you change them, or it will run like crap. This needs to be done whenever you change the intake/exhaust components on your bike.

Like thatoldbike said, check out some exhaust systems on other bikes and talk to their owners. Personally, I use the V&H Pro-Pipe exclusively. It's the best performing and best sounding exhaust I've tested so far. :) Check out the following link for more info on different exhaust's test results. Try to find something that is at or near 100% street power ranking and you'll be quite happy with them. http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust_test_02.htm

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I have decided to go with the V&H Ovals, two reasons - I am concerned about them cracking down on the noise levels and this is my First Harley so I am taking it slow.

I have also purchased the power commander, now I am being told that I should have also purchase the air cleaner as well.

Should I have??? This is a new bike 2006 HD Road King FLTR will I be causing a problem with the warranty?

Any of you guys run into a problem.

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
5 Posts
New Rineharts Slip-ons

Just put a set of the new Rinhart Slip-ons on my
2001 RKC
Stage one ECU
Powercommander IIIUSB
SE Air Filter
Jamie from fuel moto wrote a map for my bike

So far I have had
Harley SE Pro Mufflers - Too soft - No Popping
Wild Pigs - Nice Sound- Loud - Too much Popping on Decel - could not tune the popping out
Samson Rolled Thunder - Too Soft and not a deep sound - Very little popping
Rineharts - Nice Deep Sound - Not too loud at idle - Sounds nice and throaty when you get on the bike. - No popping - The only negative I have is that the way it bolts at the end of the mufflers does not allow for a very much of the muffler to overlap the header pipe.

·
Banned
871 Posts
rmuccino said:
Thanks for the info. I have decided to go with the V&H Ovals, two reasons - I am concerned about them cracking down on the noise levels and this is my First Harley so I am taking it slow.

I have also purchased the power commander, now I am being told that I should have also purchase the air cleaner as well.

Should I have??? This is a new bike 2006 HD Road King FLTR will I be causing a problem with the warranty?

Any of you guys run into a problem.

Thanks
Rick
It shouldn't affect your warranty any more than the new exhaust will. If you are really worried about it, then keep the stock parts and put them back on if you have to take it in for warranty work. You can check with your stealer first, or better yet, the MoCo, since a lot of stealers are kinda shady. Of course, he'll probably try to sell you come overpriced Screechin Beagle crap, saying that it's all you can use to keep the warranty. My advice... just find out what parts you can use and buy them somewhere else (aftermarket). That'll save you a lot of $$!

Yes on the air cleaner! I thought I just said that.....:blink: Once again, you must keep the engine airflow balanced. Just changing the pipes is like feeding a 5 inch diameter water hose with a 1 inch faucet.... you won't get very good flow. If you have better breathing pipes, then you need to let more air in or you are just wasting your money since you won't get much of a power increase.

There are three things that must be done to a Harley to make good power. They are the air cleaner, exhaust, and sometime in the future... a new, low duration, higher lift cam. Later, you can tackle the ignition and heads, if you feel you want more kick. Just performing the first two steps will make a big difference! Just ensure that you get it dyno-tuned (or at least checked w/ an AFR meter) when the air cleaner and/or pipes are changed. This MUST be done if you want it to run right! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts