V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a pair of ISO grips and was wondering how hard it is to change the stock grips myself. looks kind of complicated with the throttle grip unless I'm putting too much thought into it. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I dont want to get in the middle of it and get stuck! By the way, its for a 2002 FLSTC. Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
If I remember right the instructions that come with the isogrips are very good.. You need to loosen the throttle and idle cables all the way. Makes it a lot easier to get the cables off. Be careful not to drop the little barrell at the end of the cables. It will go where yoou will never find it. You know, Murphys Law. The left grip is really glued on there but you can save it by working a hacksaw blade under it and squirting some solvent under there.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
It is easy to do. Like roadglide said, be careful with the brass barrels on the end of the cables. They can get away from ya.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Agreed, very easy to do...but, make sure you put a cover over your tank and fender. Trust me, a dropped wrench will chip the paint.....

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Don't put too much thought into it! One thing you need to do, is GO GET THE MANUAL!!! Gives you all you need to know about adjusting the cables, etc.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I lay no claim to being a mechanic. However, with the shop manual in one hand even I was able to change the grips. After you are done you will reflect by saying something like, "Wow, that was a lot easier than I thought it would be."

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Like roadglide05 said, the instructions that come with the ISOs are pretty good. If you've lost them you can always get another copy from the Kury website. About the only thing I would add is to make sure you cleanup the left handlebar real good to get the old glue off. I sanded mine some and then finished up with alcohol. A clean bar makes it easier to slide the new grip on. One more thing. Once you've applied the glue, line the left grip up and push it on with one shot. Some of this glue sets up pretty quick so adjustments after the fact can be tough. Good luck, you'll love those grips.

Tom

·
CMA-er
973 Posts
Yep, pretty easy.... Even a girl did it! :wavey:

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
TLeath said:
Once you've applied the glue, line the left grip up and push it on with one shot. Some of this glue sets up pretty quick so adjustments after the fact can be tough. Good luck, you'll love those grips.
Put the right grip on FIRST(don't ask me how I know :mad: ). That way, you can align the left grip to match the right one.

As said above, you will love these grips.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lube those cable

While you have those cables loose you might might want to lube them. Best of luck. I had the Iso grips and thought they were pretty nice but did not like the throttle control option on the end of the grip very much so I took it off.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Dragonboop said:
I just got a pair of ISO grips and was wondering how hard it is to change the stock grips myself. looks kind of complicated with the throttle grip unless I'm putting too much thought into it. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I dont want to get in the middle of it and get stuck! By the way, its for a 2002 FLSTC. Thanks
The advice to buy the factory manuals for your bike is good.

You can find the specific part numbers here: http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68022

Order them from a 20% off dealer and use the savings to do something nice for your OL.

20% off dealers -

Benjy's HD
Chicago HD
Zanotti Motors
Moroney's
Crystal River HD

probably more but these will get you started ;)

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Just put mine on today!!! Easy to do.......after dropping the brass thinky and looking for it for almost twenty minutes, once found everything went well and quick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts