V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of changing my rear sprocket,
to get a little more low end performance.
I have a 1999 Softail FXSTC, it has the stock
setup (32 front, 65 rear) I believe.

Thinking of going to a 70 in the rear.

Any advantage or reason to do the front vs rear ?
Obviously if I were doing the front I'd go down.

Is there a way to tell if I can keep the original belt
with the 70 in the rear ?

Any recommendations on rear sprockets ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
A 99 softail should have a 32 front and a 70 rear if you want to go different the rear is way easier but if you have to change belt ie not enough adjustment you are going to have to do all of the same steps of pulling the primary off where you will allready be at the front pulley, if you have a 70 tooth allready which you should have change the front but leave off the primary and check the belt length so you don't have to remove the primary all over again just to change to a different belt. If you do change belts i recomend going to a panther belt with the squared off teeth and smooth outer finish looks cooler than the gates belts and is in my opinion and a few others a better and stronger belt.

Any Questions?

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
160 fxds-conv said:
A 99 softail should have a 32 front and a 70 rear ...
They are 32 front and 65 rear.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Gus said:
I'm thinking of changing my rear sprocket,
to get a little more low end performance.
I have a 1999 Softail FXSTC, it has the stock
setup (32 front, 65 rear) I believe.

Thinking of going to a 70 in the rear.

Any advantage or reason to do the front vs rear ?
Obviously if I were doing the front I'd go down.

Is there a way to tell if I can keep the original belt
with the 70 in the rear ?

Any recommendations on rear sprockets ?
You will not be able to use the stock belt in the rear. It's not long enough to cover the additional 5 teeth on the rear sprocket. You can generally move up and down a maximum of 3 teeth in the front pully using the same belt. Changing out the front pully will allow you to move in 1 tooth increments, on the rear, I don't believe this is possible. I have never seen a 66 rear or a 67 rear tooth sprocket, not saying that they don't make 'me, just never seen one.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I did manage to put a 70 tooth sprocket on my 99 FB using the stock belt but I had a hard time finding a 70 tooth to fit the 99 wheels.I ended up using 2000 style wheels and fit one off a RK and put a chrome cover on it.Right now I cant use the lower belt guard,and the adjusters are pretty far back,but still have some adjustment left,have gone 12,000 miles or so without any problems.when I do a belt change this year I will be gearing the front down which will bring the stock belt back in the normal range of adjustment

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
fury1 said:
I did manage to put a 70 tooth sprocket on my 99 ...
I stand corrected. Fury1 got it on his. Your's is the first I've heard of. Other that have tried this, failed. Glad you got it working Fury!! :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts