V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 FXD (88 Twin Cam). I am changing the rocker boxes to chrome vice the standard polished. I have the tank off and the rocker box cover off as well. The kit did not come with instructions so I am using the shop manual which tends to focus more on the complete engine removal rather than just replacing the rocker boxes. To remove the rocker box base plate, do I need to remove the push rods and find the lowest cam position before removing the rocker base plate? Or can I simply remove the 4 bolts, then replace the base plate? The next step will be to call the Harley dealership and ask them for the directions since I think that they should have been included. Thanks for any help!

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
You need to find the base circle. Warning in the book about bending things if you don't. It is real easy though.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
yup find where lifter are bottomed out on that cyl and then remove in specific order a little at a time. It should be outlined in the manual. MAKE SURE ther is not oil in holes and bolts are clean when going back together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts