V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 FLHTK - Ultra Limited
Changing rear brake pads - the service manual does NOT mention needing to take it to a dealer for pad change. (for changing fluid it lists the use of the Digital Tech at a dealer)

On the paper that comes with the pads it states that with ABS you need to have it done at a dealer.

I am assuming there could be a difference in compressing the pistols prior to removal of old pads.

Anyone with experience with this??? and tell me why you would need to have a dealer change the rear pads???

THANKS!!
Ride safe

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Most cars have ABS and changing the pads is no different than without ABS, so I can't see a bike's brakes being any different. As long as you don't open the brake line there should be no need for any special tools to install the pads.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Have done it plenty of times. If your just changing the pads its no different than without ABS.Just follow procedure in shop manual.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can cause problem with ABS Module ??

From what I have read elsewhere the brakes will function, i.e. pressure to the pad / disc and stop the bike ....BUT I have read that the ABS will or may not work properly.

Apparently the tech does something to reset the module, computer or something that insures the abs module will work when needed.

ANY HD TECHNICIAN out there with knowledge of this???

THANKS

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
I've done about four sets of pads on ABS bikes with no problem. Shop manual says nothing about what your saying or I would not have attempted it.....But I could be wrong?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts