V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am real interested in changing my rear fender on my 2001 deuce. I was just wondering if anyone knows what kind of process (est. $) and how many hassels there are to completing the task. i would like a low profile and shorter rear fender. if anyone can help, please reply.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Hey Man..

I saw no one else was responding to your post, so I thought I'd chip my $.02 worth in. Particularly cuz I'm getting my '03 Deuce soon (next month), and have already thought about doing the same thing.

Cost of a new fender is $300-$600 depending on who you buy it from. Installing just the fender in and of itself is probably no big deal, somewhere between a few hours and a full day (two?) depending on how much experience your shop has with doing customs. Complications? You'll need to decide how to mount the tag & rear light and turn signals (can leave turn signals off in most states). I'm leaning towards a tag/light mounted off the rear axle on the left. So getting it re-wired will be a little extra. Another thing to consider is paint. I'm not sure how easy it will be to match the new fender to the stock Harley paint... that's my biggest head scratcher. Might want to go with a custom paint job for tank/front fender/etc. but that could REALLY jack up the price. Cheapest way is to match the paint, hopefully dealer can help you there.

But lastly, if you're thinking of taking the fender down low and tight... you might wanna think about getting a wider rear tire while you're at it.
Performance Machine http://www.performance-machine.com/ has a kit that will allow you to put a FAT ass tire on there (an 8.5"? what is that, a 240? 200?), and it comes with a new fender similiar to what you're looking for, and they have some shots of before/after with a Fat Boy.

That's gonna cost considerably extra, but my guess is the fender isn't gonna look that great low and tight without that fatter rear wheel. At least, in my opinion.

Sorry I don't have exact numbers for you here, but you could ask around at the different shops and see what advice they'll have for you.

Good luck, welcome to the boards, and let us know how it turns out if you decide to do it!

·
Registered
91 Posts
It would depend on what kind of fender you're looking to put on the bike. You may need new fender struts for certain fenders. Also what kind of light system are you looking for. Once in a while you can get real lucky if you can find what your looking for on e-bay. I just saw a complete softtail fat bob fender with lights and license bracket in black go for 75.00. I've also seen the heritage style fenders for 50-100 dollars. If its a harley fender your looking at, you can order it in the color of your bike for about 250.00 plus any related parts (you can probably pick them up off ebay also). I wanted to pick up an extra sheet metal set so I can paint it myself. I found the tank I needed, rear fender and front fender for a total of 325.00 without damage to any of the parts. There was also a front and rear matching set for 100.00 if you like the teal and white 2-tone. It Depends on how patient you are and what your after.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
9x23...

Regarding getting a fender painted from HD. Yeah, if you want the stock fender, which is NOT "low and short". I've checked the HD catalog, and they don't make a fender like that. It's a custom thing.

Ergo, that's why I said how to get the paint to match was the head scratcher.

Sure, you might could take a stock fender and "convert" into what he's wanting, but the conversion process is gonna ruin the paint job you just paid for. You gotta buy a fender "blank", size it (heck, maybe even do some cutting and grinding), and then mold it and paint it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts