V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about changing the oil and filter myself, was wondering if anyone else has done this and if it's a fairly easy process.
I'm competent with tools but I'm not going to tear the bike apart to do it.

I have the oil and filter, do I also need the filter tool?

-JJ

·
Registered
684 Posts
Change it yourself. It's easy to do.

Go buy yourself a filter wrench, but not the full round one. Get either the band type or the slotted.

Here's a tip that one of the forum members shared earlier . . . after draining the oil from the pan, punch two holes in the filter. Punch the first one on the upper top side of the filter, then one on the lower. Use some aluminum foil to serve as a trough to move the oil to your collection pan. This will take some time (overnight) to completely drain, but it keep the mess to a minimum.

Have fun and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I changed the oil on mine twice, no problems. It is easier if you remove the two bolts on the bottom of the radiator, gives you more room to get to the filter. And you can use a round oil filter wrench, I had one I could turn sideways, but you're better off with the type that goes on the end of a socket ratchet. Oh it's kind of missy I have a jack and my jack positioned all the way back still sits under the drain plug hole, so I do get a little oil on the floor.

Hope this helps,

Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
Buy an Oil Filter "A" Cap Wrench from K-Mart or WalMart automotive department (for about $3.00), which is much cheaper than H-D's Part No. HD-44067 (around $14.00). This same cap wrench fits my 1990 Chevrolet Blazer. This cap wrench is for a standard 3/8th inch rachet wrench. For adequate reach, you will also need an 8 inch extension for the rachet wrench. The drain plug is at the front left side of the drain pan. This is an easy job. What I would like to know is whether anyone has located a Fram "Sure Drain Fast Access Oil Change System" that fits the V-Rod oil plug hole?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I haven't heard too many good things about the Fram sure drain. The main complaint I heard from those who had one was that it didn't allow all the old oil to completely drain out and if you remove the plug there was at least 1/2 quart of oil left in the oil pan. Apparently the drain sets to high in the oil pan on most applications. And another complaint was that it's extremely slow. That is why I never tried one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts