V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know if theres a way to figure-out which handlebar to go with, without changing cables, brake hose? i have a 95' fxd with buckhorn bars. i'd like to go with something like on a wide glide style bar.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Easy

I put a set of Wideglide bars on my 1998 FXD that had buckhorns. The stock H-D cables are the same for the Wideglide and FXD with buckhorns As far as the brake line goes, you can carefully rebend the metal sections to fit with the wide bars.
You might want to get a set of the stock bars from the new '06 Street Bob. They are almost identical to the Wideglide bars but have a narrower center section that looks better on the narrow front end.

·
Banned
871 Posts
dynasg said:
anyone know if theres a way to figure-out which handlebar to go with, without changing cables, brake hose? i have a 95' fxd with buckhorn bars. i'd like to go with something like on a wide glide style bar.
I have basically the same bike as yours and I switched to flat track-style bars. They were only slightly narrower and quite a bit shorter (height) than the buckhorns, so I didn't need to change anything else. I just rerouted the cables and brake line slightly. They will give you a more controlled feeling, almost like drag bars. I use them with the stock risers. Excellent for handling and very comfortable on long rides. You can get them at several aftermarket sites for under $100. They should only take you about 30-40 minutes to change.

If the width and height are not too much longer than the stock bars, then you shouldn't have to replace any other parts (measure from the neck to the ends of the bars). Just make sure nothing gets hung up or stretched when turning the bars lock to lock. If you go with longer bars, you may still be able to use the same cables and brake line, depending on the difference in length. The wiring harness will not need to be cut, since there is a lot of extra wire stuffed in the frame that can be pulled out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts