V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Harleys don't leak oil !
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to change my handlebars on my '00 road king std.but ,I don't want to change cables or wires.I understand that the rk high bars don't require changing anything is that true?How about Heritage bars?Any other suggestions?Looking for more reach and better hand position over the stock bars.thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
wild 1 504's, on my 99 rk classic, no nothing needed, straight swap out, unplug connectors inside nacelle, internal wire and they are awesome. more pullback, better placement of wrists, and slightly wider. perfect. pics if u'd like.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I changed out my stock ElectraGlide bars and installed the reach touring bars without new cables, just need to do a few mods, do a search in this section and you can see pictures of them.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
The heritage bars don't require new cables. They come stock on Police RK's. The high bars don't require new cables either.

I went through two sets of bars before I found "the ones" for the time being.

I use the RK touring handlebars (which don't require new cables either) with a mustang solo. Fits great for me, 6'2", 36 in sleeve.

·
Run Silent Run Deep...
190 Posts
Check out the Wild 1 513 Baby Apes, I have them on my RK Custom and the are awesome. website is: wild1inc.com They are 1-1/4 " and look great too.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
czar, can you give us a comparison between the RK High bars and the Touring bars? I just installed the high bars and they're a great improvement over stock for me.

You made a couple good points in your post. You may have to try more than one set of bars to get it right but when you do, it's worth it.

You also mentioned your seat which will make a difference in how everything fits together.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Neckball said:
czar, can you give us a comparison between the RK High bars and the Touring bars? I just installed the high bars and they're a great improvement over stock for me.

You made a couple good points in your post. You may have to try more than one set of bars to get it right but when you do, it's worth it.

You also mentioned your seat which will make a difference in how everything fits together.
I made test bars out of 3/4" PVC pipe and elbows until I found what was comfortable. Taped them to the stock bars and sat there to see how they would feel. Then I went out looking for the bars closest to them. Ended up with 56079-93 bars from a Dyna Wide Glide. Kept stock cables. Had to do some gentle bending of the brake line but that was it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
RG handlebars

I have been watching the handlebar discussions for a while. I have 'tilted' my stock bars back as far as they can go w/o hitting the console and they're still a bit shy. (btw, I'm 5'9") I kept seeing recommendations to use the heritage bars but wasn't quite sure of which those were (I think they're the 56569-86 below, tho).

Attached is a dump of the "Handlebar Measurements Comparison Chart" from the HD site into a zipped M$ excel file.

The HD bars that seem best for my size appear to be:

Part Tip Base Rise Pull
Number to Tip Width Back
55955-00A 32" 11.5" 7" 3.5" Ch. Road Glide® HB
56571-98 32" 11.5" 7" 3.5" SS. Road Glide® HB (Stock Bars?)
56079-93 32" 10" 10.25" 6.5"
56079-93T 32" 10" 10.25" 6.5"
56152-04 32" 13" 7" 6.25" Red. Reach Road King® HB
56557-95 31.25" 11.5" 7" 9"
56569-86 31.25" 11.5" 8.5" 5" SS.ver.s of 56623-99
56570-98 31.5" 10.5" 8.75" 9.5"
56623-99 31.25" 11.5" 8.5" 5" Chrome - Heritage Softail® Classic

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Neckball said:
czar, can you give us a comparison between the RK High bars and the Touring bars?
I'd like too! but I never had the highbars. All I have tried are the Heritage Classic Bars and the Road King Touring Bars.

I did look at a lot of specs to figure out which would work "better." I installed the Heritage bars and I felt like I was steering from my waist. I compared numbers from here: CHART, and thought that the touring bars would be a better fit.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
So the HD RK touring and the HD RK HighBar have more rise than the Heritage bars?

mtroin, do you have any pic's of your custom with those baby apes?

·
Registered
17 Posts
handlebars

I have the road king high handlebars. No changes needed in any cables or brake lines. Could have also used the heritage bars, but they didn't feel as good.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I put the chrome Road Glide bars on my Road King and am very pleased. The cables all work without modification, but I changed to aftermarket mirrors. The stock mirrors were useless with the new bars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts