V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brother has a 2005 Buell City (hope I have the name right), he wants to change the front fork oil. He bought the service manual to help with changing the fork oil but it is very confusing. The manual tells you how to take the entire assembly apart but not simple directions on how to just change the oil. I have changed oil on my FLTR and a road king but the Buell is a different animal. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
there is no bottom drain like on an HD, so to get the oil out, you have to dissassemble the entire assembly, and physicly turn the tube upside down to drain the oil.

That reminds me, I need to do that to my Blast...

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Would there be any way to suck it out?

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
You could try...you would need a 3 foot long 1/4" hose and a hand vacume pump...like bleeding brakes or something

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
its not as hard as it sounds.
The hard part is getting the front wheel off, you need to disassemble the brake caliper to get the wheel off, then loosen the top cap on the forks, then remove the forks.
Then carefully remove the fork caps, remember, there will be pressure from the springs!
Once you've got the cap off, just hold them upside down over a bucket while holding the spring in, and stroke the forks a few times to get all the oil out.
when you've got all the oil out, hold them straight up and down, and now you can add your fresh oil, remember to stroke the forks a few times to get the oil throughout the system, put the caps back on, and then re-install everything back on the bike.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll do what I can to repair this old less-than-informative thread.

Would there be any way to suck it out?
No

You could try...you would need a 3 foot long 1/4" hose and a hand vacume pump...like bleeding brakes or something
Nope. That would be all it was, a try. You could certainly remove SOME of the fork oil this way but definitely would not remove ALL of it. It needs to be partially dis-assembled so you can turn it upside-down and pump the cartridge.

its not as hard as it sounds.
The hard part is getting the front wheel off, you need to .......blah blah etc etc....... then
re-install everything back on the bike.
You don't need to dis-assemble the caliper. Remove the brake pads. Remove the fender. It's possible to leave the caliper bolted up but you increase the likelyhood of scratching the wheel hub. I would suggest removing the caliper mounting bolts as you remove the axle and wheel.

When you remove the fork caps they WILL NOT BE under spring pressure. This is where it starts getting complicated. Follow the manual carefully at this point and if you do not understand or can not perform the procedure with confidence, please take them to a trained, experienced technician. You need to bleed the cartridge, establish a correct oil level, and re-assemble it properly.

It's not as simple as "dump the old oil out and pour new oil in."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts