V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Road glide and want to upgrade to the Screaming Eagle hydralic tensioners, cam plate and high volume oil pump. I'm no mechanic but can do most things except electrical. Do I need any special tools like a puller to pull the inner cam bearings. Also are the cams pressed into the plate? How difficult is this job? From glancing at a manual it doesnt seem too difficult. Thanks.

·
Still in one piece
269 Posts
You can upgrade to the new style camplate by just buying the new style camplate with the pump. The only diff is the cams. Andrews makes an 'N' cam which fits the new camplate and a smaller diameter on the rear of the cam to fit the older style inner cam bearings. If you go that way, there's no pressing except for the inner cam bearings. Andrews makes a complete kit and so do others. And you're right, not too difficult a job.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
You can upgrade to the new style camplate by just buying the new style camplate with the pump. The only diff is the cams. Andrews makes an 'N' cam which fits the new camplate and a smaller diameter on the rear of the cam to fit the older style inner cam bearings. If you go that way, there's no pressing except for the inner cam bearings. Andrews makes a complete kit and so do others. And you're right, not too difficult a job.
yep, the andrews conversion or woods conversion is way to go. the SE junk only fixes the outer chain/tensioneer-----the inner is still same old junk!

·
Registered
243 Posts
claydbal
Not here to start an argument, just curious why you refer to SE hydraulic upgrade as junk. I've installed a lot of these kits and never had a problem. I'm sure the andrews style conversion works well also, but you limit your cam selections with the reduced bearing cams. Didn't think the old style chain was a problem with the hydraulic tensioner.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
claydbal
Not here to start an argument, just curious why you refer to SE hydraulic upgrade as junk. I've installed a lot of these kits and never had a problem. I'm sure the andrews style conversion works well also, but you limit your cam selections with the reduced bearing cams. Didn't think the old style chain was a problem with the hydraulic tensioner.
@gree:mad:gree: [email protected]: some more. Imo the se plate is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
claydbal
limited cam selections? anyway.........the old style chain is as much a culprit as the spring loaded tensioner. plus, why spend the money on that junk? why didnt HD tell the truth about that plate? they led folks to believe it was a full upgrade and hid old chain in the rear.

jam--good to see you too man.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just finished the upgrade (last Sat.) I used the SE kit # 25284-11. You'll need a few other things like the gasket kit, service kit, etc. You'll want to put in the Torrington B148 in cam bearings as well. My dealer pressed in my cam plate bearings and cams. You can reuse your push rods if you want to take off the rocker boxes. It's not a real hard job. Do a google search, there's a ton of stuff on the process. Feel free to PM me if you've got questions. I suggest you at least pull the cam cover and take a peak at the spring tensioners. My outside one was OK but the inner one was toast at 37K.

Good luck,
Dave

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
lol hog, its just another opinion. my typing skills dont allow very diplomatic communication.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replys, I'm probably gonna go with the screaming Eagle upgrade and maybe SE cams. Does the new plate come with bearings in place and if not do they need to be pressed into the cam plate? Thanks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the replys, I'm probably gonna go with the screaming Eagle upgrade and maybe SE cams. Does the new plate come with bearings in place and if not do they need to be pressed into the cam plate? Thanks.
No, you'll need to buy those separately. You'll want to replace the inner bearings while your in the cam box. Most folks go with Torrington B148's. You can get a blind hole bearing remover from AutoZone for nothing. I tapped the new inner bearings in using a bolt, nut, and washer using the old bearings to assist. For setting the new outer bearings in to the cam plate you can tap using a big socket. I wouldn't recommend it though. Find an indy or even your stealer and they'll press in the cams and bearings for a reasonable price. At least my stealer did.

Good luck,
Dave

·
Registered
793 Posts
limited cam selections? anyway.........the old style chain is as much a culprit as the spring loaded tensioner. plus, why spend the money on that junk? why didnt HD tell the truth about that plate? they led folks to believe it was a full upgrade and hid old chain in the rear.

jam--good to see you too man.
the rear silent chain is not the culprit. the tensioner is the problem. the hydraulic tensioner keeps a more constant pressure on the chain , less movement and wear. I had my road glide apart upgrading cams again this fall when I changed heads and at 35k miles my SE upgrade parts were looking great. :coffee:

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
Dennis you ol molly dodger, glad your back, Keep these guys straight.
Unless something has changed it was a lot easier to use the Andrews kit (more complete) and we like their cam selection a little better than SE for the other parts we use.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
randy, i never dodged molly..................i always let her catch me! good possum!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Dennis you ol molly dodger, glad your back, Keep these guys straight.
Unless something has changed it was a lot easier to use the Andrews kit (more complete) and we like their cam selection a little better than SE for the other parts we use.
I guess I am having a hard time understanding what you are saying. I am using andrews cams in the se plate. what is in the "kit" to make it more complete? and how is it easier to use? I dont doubt what you are saying, but I still maintain the silent chain is not the problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts