V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I want to thank all for the replies on how to remove the rear wheel. Now I need to change the brake pads on the rear of the 2000 Ultra. I think I can get the rear wheel off now, so where do I go from here? Once I remove the thing that holds the brake pads, do they just pop out and I pop in the new ones, I don't think it can be that simple!!!!!!! Are there any precautions I should take, other than not touching the rear brake pedal?
Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The time to do it would have been with the wheel off. You don't have to take the wheel off but it gives you more room. Just remove the 1/4" 12 point pins and the pads come out. The springs are pretty much captive.
Do one pad at the time, easier that way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hippo. I would have gotten the brake pads changed at the time of the tire change, but they didn't have any in stock. Can you tell me what the 1/4 inch 12 point pins are and where they are located? How many of them are there and what kind of wrench do I need to remove them? If I can do it without removing the wheel, I would like to give it a try. I am really new to this but willing to learn.
It is only confusing when you don't know how to do it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ok I'l not being a smart a** . But why don't you just buy a shop manual from the dealer? It has all the specs you need , tells how to do the work that you can do, the tools needed and it even has pics for when you get in way over your head. Have fun learning.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FLHT, it's on my agenda to get the manual, but the dealer is three hours away and I need to go for some warranty work in a couple weeks and plan to pick up the manual. In the meantime, just thought I would ask. i don't think you are being smarta****, it just make sense to get hte manual if I am going to be trying this myself. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Just a regular 1/4" 12 point socket. Two pins per caliper, right on the outside of the body. Do NOT touch the 10 mm 12 points, if you do you will be in deep kimchi as they split the calipers.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
A 1/4" off set 12 point ring spanner works for me if you don't have 12 point sockets.........:D
Take the pad pins out a little to let the inner pad drop free (might have to work it a bit)
Put the 'New' inner pad in place, push the pins back in, then pump the brake pedal so it contacts the inner pad and holds it in place.
Now take the pins fully out, remove the outer pad, install 'New' outer pad and push the pins back ALL the way and tighten to 180-200 in-Ibs (20.3 22.6Nm)
Pump up the brake pedal!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D
Check your fluid level in your master cylinder next to the brake pedal.

But if you don't know what you're really doing, its safer to leave it into a shop....:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts