V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a Twin Cam is it possible, without cutting the pushrods, to remove the cams without damaging anything?

Thanks,

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
@gree: Or just but a set of adjustables and bolt cutters. Less chance on the screw up factor for a first time. Other wise dig in....

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
One to think about is what are your plans. Also what do you have done. About $90 for gasket kit to remove heads. Plus a bit of labor. $150+- fr adjustable pushrods. But do you plan on heads or boaring? If so can do that and reuse pushrods.
These also need to be though about when choosing cam. Sorry if you already though about this and being patronizing.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
berserker said:
One to think about is what are your plans. Also what do you have done. About $90 for gasket kit to remove heads. Plus a bit of labor. $150+- fr adjustable pushrods. But do you plan on heads or boaring? If so can do that and reuse pushrods.
These also need to be though about when choosing cam. Sorry if you already though about this and being patronizing.
Well as of right now the plan is this.

I have some new Andrews EZ-Install pushrods $88 delivered to my house. Looking at Head-Quarters HQ-0034G cams and just installing them for now (getting a little concerned about the cam tensioners 11,700 miles). Come December the rest of the plan is to have the heads ported and put on the 98" kit.

Basically I'm trying to get out of pulling the gas tank and rocker covers off right now.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
With less than 12k on the clock and plans to tear it apart for a 98" kit in December, I'd just ride it and do it all at once. The chance of your tensioners being worn out are minute, IMO.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
xxxflhrci said:
With less than 12k on the clock and plans to tear it apart for a 98" kit in December, I'd just ride it and do it all at once. The chance of your tensioners being worn out are minute, IMO.
Here is part two of the concern. Starting about April I could be putting about 2,000 miles a month on the bike. Don't want to end up out of state at the mercy of a dealer and have to pay for more of those tensioners when I plan on putting in gears.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
If you put 2k month, it wouldn't hurt to check sometime this summer. I check mine first at 34k. But 20k probably wouldn't have been a bad time. Its crapshoot.

I would talk to Hdwrench about cam chooce for 98". I am installing it now, with 37g, but there are lots of cams out there. If you put a cam in suited for 98" build on 88" you may not be happy until you do 98. Somebody can tell you better.

If you got the adj pushrods you can cut existing. Go andrews website they might have instructions. But you could inspect outer ones very easily. I have heard with dental mirror can get see inner without removing cam plate. Dunno.

If I was doing 98" next year I would not want to rip heads off right now.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
wkohn said:
Here is part two of the concern. Starting about April I could be putting about 2,000 miles a month on the bike. Don't want to end up out of state at the mercy of a dealer and have to pay for more of those tensioners when I plan on putting in gears.
I doubt if your tensioners will be worn out even if your roll it up to 30k by the time you do your 98". Even so, your bike is an '05, correct? Doesn't it have a 2 year warranty?

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
berserker said:
If you put 2k month, it wouldn't hurt to check sometime this summer. I check mine first at 34k. But 20k probably wouldn't have been a bad time. Its crapshoot.

I would talk to Hdwrench about cam chooce for 98". I am installing it now, with 37g, but there are lots of cams out there. If you put a cam in suited for 98" build on 88" you may not be happy until you do 98. Somebody can tell you better.

If you got the adj pushrods you can cut existing. Go andrews website they might have instructions. But you could inspect outer ones very easily. I have heard with dental mirror can get see inner without removing cam plate. Dunno.

If I was doing 98" next year I would not want to rip heads off right now.
Andrews web site says to cut them. I don't want to cut them cause I need them for another project where I need to measure them.

Going from the 88" to the 98" with the cam I have picked will just make more torque. Especially when I go to a high compression ratio than stock.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
The responses are clear. You will either have to remove gas tank and open rocker boxes, or cut them. Seeing as you don't want to cut them, then the answer is the former.
Sounds like either answer is not what you wanted to hear, but as they say..."It is what it is".

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
YankeeBob said:
The responses are clear. You will either have to remove gas tank and open rocker boxes, or cut them. Seeing as you don't want to cut them, then the answer is the former.
Sounds like either answer is not what you wanted to hear, but as they say..."It is what it is".
Yeah I know. But I don't like that answer. :crying:

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Bill,

Pulling the tank is a breeze. No kidding. I did it several times last year and wil be glad to assist.

GC

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FXDRYDR said:
Bill,

Pulling the tank is a breeze. No kidding. I did it several times last year and wil be glad to assist.

GC
GC,

I figured it is. I'm just lazy and trying to get out of having to do certain things. But it doesn't look like that will be happening.

Bill

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
berserker said:
What kind of gasket kit is $90? Just curious because I got a top end kit by James for about $50 and that was heads and rocker boxes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts