V-Twin Forum banner

Changing a 4 speed to a 5 speed

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  HD1200R 
#1 ·
My buddy has an 89' 883 converted to a 1200. He wants to know if he can also convert the transmission to a 5 speed. Is anyone aware if this is possible? Thanks in advance for any information. :Dennis

#2 ·
Bump to top! Anyone?

#3 ·
fourhour,

I looked in most of my catalogs and didn't see anything that would work in an '89. Looks like they went to a 5 speed in '91. Baker make a 6 speed that will drop in (with slight modifications to the case) for '94 and up. I have even looked for an lower 4th gear ratio (like overdrive) gear and had no success. Sorry.

Anybody else know??

#4 ·
Thanks for looking. I appreciate it. The guy's a good wrench but has never gotten an answer to this question. I was hoping someone here may have done it and could steer me in the right direction.Thanks again, :Dennis

#5 ·
Nope. Can't be done. Major changes were made to remove the alternator from behind the clutch hub forward behind the main drive sprocket. It was at this time that they also went to a 5 speed. Sorry. Almost everyone I know who has a 4 spd would love to have an extra gear...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.