V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,100 Posts
How can we find out who makes the MOCO 360 oil? Does your friend know?
The HD oil was made by Sun Oil for a long time, but now is made by Citgo.

The story about HD and Mobil is true, the Mobil1 20W50 is the oil that was specifically developed for HD.

You might want to be careful with the automotive Mobil1 in the bike. I have talked to a fellow that worked on the motorcycle oil project. He rides a Harley. He used the 15W50 as opposed to the more expensive 20W50. Recently Mobil changed the formulation of the car oil, and he said he switched to the motorcycle oil as a precaution as at this time he is not sure that the new formulation Mobil1 car oil is adequate.

Redline actually has tho 20W50 oils, the racing 20W50 which is not recommended for street use, and the regular 20W50 which actually is much more adequate for extended drain intervals if that is what you are looking for.
In my opininon you use any of these oils for extra protection, not to extend drain intervals.

· Registered
2,100 Posts
LOL, long story.

For as long as I can remember, as far as engine oil, I used BelRay EXS. I really like the feel of engines with this oil. Problem is that the price has been going up and it got to the point where it got ridiculous and customers started to bit(h. The company also has a bit of an attitude problem.

On my own bike I started to use the Mobil15W50 car oil (mainly to see what if anything happened), and in the customer bikes the Mobil 20W50 motorcycle oil or the RedLine, reason being that if something were to happen due to totally unrelated causes I did not want to hear about it.
Keep in mind we are primarily a machine and engine building shop that does work for other shops as well as a contract R&D shop, and only service bikes as a favour so to speak, customers we have built engines for and their friends, guys we ride with and the ocasional good looking lady. Lately it is getting out of hand, so we may have to cut it down a little, and we don't stock large quantities of parts other then hard engine parts.

Now the Mobil car oil changed so to me it is no longer a option. Since I keep the gearbox and primary RedLine I decided the oil discussions were taking too much time, so I decided just to keep RedLine stuff and if they did not like it they can bring their own. No one has yet.

So, if the question is what I use right now, the answer is RedLine, but it is by no means the only answer, there is more then one way to go.

I usually change the engine and primary oil on the bikes at 5K, but if on a trip I have no reservation running it until I get home.

When they speak of localized high temperatures they are much more specific then "rear cylinder". The top ring on these engines runs real hot, and there are significant advantages to running a good synthetic oil, in particular one with a ester or diester base. This is the reason for choosing RedLine over Mobil, even though I suspect the base oil in the Mobil motorcycle oil is not the same as in the car oil. They call the formula trisynthetic, meaning they use 3 different base oils and this is confirmed in their tech literature. I suspect the percentage of ester base in the Mobil motorcycle oil is higher then in the car oil, I can't prove it but it sure feels like it.
Both the Mobil1 motorcycle oil and the RedLine are very good oils.

· Registered
2,100 Posts
Actually it doesn't matter. All this stuff is made to a spec and pricepoint.

If for whatever reason you don't want to use synthetic, you can probably do a lot worse then HD oil.
People keep talking about air cooled engines, the oil doesn't know what cools the engine, it just knows how hot it gets. The real significant difference is that it is a roller crank engine. Due to the close fitments on the crank there is no way in the world parts can run on a hydrodynamic wedge and there is metal to metal contact by design. The oil's ability to transfer heat and the additive package has requirements that are not found on a plain bearing engine. If you are willing to give up the much higher ability to tranfer heat a diester base synthetic provides, then you would be well advised to stick with HD oil.

· Registered
2,100 Posts
The other Mobil1 synthetic is the M4T or something like that. It has little to do with overhead cams, it is specifically formulated for motorcycles that have a common sump for engine and gearbox and has to be much more shear resistant for this reason.

How much of this is fact and fiction I don't want to discuss, but there is some difference and it is better to err on the safe side.
Mobil could just as well made one motorcycle oil and sold it under the same pretense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.