V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to first say that I have always been impressed with Mobil 1 oil and have run it in ever car I own. I recently ran across an individual who is in our local HOG chapter and retired from Mobil. I asked him about Harleys and Mobil 1.

A little background I have run across several articles (American Iron Magazine, April 2000, for one) that tested Mobil 1 oil and Harley 360 oil in air cooled V-twin and came out with the recommendation that Mobil 1 tested out a little better than 360 did. I wanted to ask him to get his take on it.

Now this is what he told me regarding the MoCo and Mobil he said that: Harley had approached Mobil and worked with them for a time to developing a synthetic for air-cooled V-twins. Harley engineers were very impressed with how well the oil worked and ask the MoCo to sell Mobil oil under there label. However Mobil wanted a statement, on the bottle, that this oil was blended or refined by Mobil Oil. The MoCo didn’t want anyone’s name on the bottle. An ill-reconcilable difference occurred, a corporate impasse, the Harley Engineers plead with the MoCo to adapt Mobil’s synthetic but the MoCo refused to allow Mobil to put anything on the bottle indicating it was their oil. I looked at their 360 oil, and I couldn’t find a manufacture’s name on it and we all know that the MoCo doesn’t refine their own oil someone else is doing it. So this is what I was told and the reason Harley doesn’t recommend synthetic oil.

I was told that if I didn’t run Harley 360 oil it would void my warranty, I then checked a little further and found that if that was true; that you needed to use a certain product to maintain a warranty the manufacture would have to provide that product to you free of charge.

Now with that said I did decide to switch to Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I was told, again by my friend to use to ork for Mobil, the best oil to run in the new V-Rod was still the synthetic V-Twin 20W-50 Mobil oil. The only place I found to get it was AutoZone and good luck because I was told by the manager of the one in Manassas VA that it was their hottest selling oil and they can’t keep it on their shelves. Oh and it isn’t cheap, almost $8 a quart, yes that isn’t a typo eight dollars a quart, but given how much our engine cost it’s cheap insurance, in my opinion.

Now my take on it, I think - the engine seem to rev better and seem to run easier. I know for sure it shifts better; I used to have a thunk when I shifted from 1st to 2nd but now only a click. I haven’t really noticed if it runs cooler, but it seem as if the fans don’t come on as often. Based upon my back ground as a SCCA Tech Inspector, and knowing what the racers run - either Mobil 1 or Redline. And knowing Redline doesn’t have the detergents or additives needed for prolong street usage, Mobil 1 was by far recommended as the best oil for street use. I feel it was the best choice for me and I am very happy with it.

That’s my story and I am sticking with it, thanks,

Dave

· Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys,

Got one more for you regarding oils:

http://www.micapeak.com/info/oiled.html

As for additives, I was told Redline does have the anit-rust and detergents needed for street use. Because our cars and bikes and driven, parked over night or several days, then driven again maybe not be completely warmed up; condensation occurs in the engine and you need to have detergents to clean the engine and rust inhibitors. Now please remember I am an Accountant, not an engineer, but it looks like others are fairly well versed on this subject and I try to read everything I can on it. With that said Father was a Chemical Engineer and Sister is Mechanical Engineer, so I do get a little knowledge from them.

I was the way ward child went into accounting, but I'd love to be one of those corporate bean counters, I'd factor in the customer and what they want and the long-term effect.

As for changing intervals I am sticking with what the manual calls for, I figured I'd rather be save than sorry.

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.