V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my experience. I had Rinehart true duals on my '05 FLHRSI for 150 miles. Took the bike in to have a 95" kit installed. During the tuning of the bike the tech insisted that if I put a 2-into-1 header on the bike that it would way outperform the Rineharts that I already had on the bike. It really pained me to think about spending even more money on exhaust but I bent and let the dealer install a Thunderheader. After a couple of hours more tuning we produced 8 more horsepower and 12lbs more torque from the Thunderheader.
Definately a noticable amount of more power and a heck of a lot different tone from the new pipe. I really haven't decided whether or not I like the look of the new pipe but it sure performs well.
Anyone else have any similar experiences? I think that maybe just the difference from going to an 88" to a 95" might make the Thunderheader a better choice.
Anyways now I'm sitting with a set of Rineharts with only 150 miles on them. Supposed I'll try and sell them and move on

·
Big Ugly Fat F'n Yankee
862 Posts
Damn! That's a bummer! I was told that Reinharts were the best!

Hmmmmmmm johng_22, you may have saved me a TON of money!

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Just a few questions:

What was the dealer tuning with? PC?, SERT?, DFO?

Are you saying he tuned as best he could with the Reinharts and then installed the T-headers and tuned more?...or are you saying he sold you the pipes, channged them and then started tuning?

Regardless...a lot of people don't understand that Reinharts are very different than stock harley headers or a 2:1 like the T-header. I'd like to think that this is more a matter of your guy not understanding how to tune true duals...or maybe not having the right tools to deal with them. I think i'd have given someone else a crack at tuning before I scrapped $650 pipes with 150 miles on them. They must love you down at the dealer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Logical, the bike was tuned with a PC since I haven't been able to get ahold of a SERT just yet. I acquired a PC for next to no cost which will hold me over while I am still waiting on my SERT which should arrive hopefully soon then the next engine upgrade I make I'm swapping out to the SERT. I had to travel out of town to get the PC tuned as most all of the techs around my area tune using a SERT and nothing else. As for the work that was completed the tech spent about 3 hours on the dyno with the Rineharts. He was biased as he told me before we began that he didn't like Rineharts. After about another hour he told me he still wasn't happy with the results @ 86hp/101lbs.
Having seen the results he had gotten on other's bikes with the 2-into-1 I trusted he could provide me with some good results. Another 2 hours of tuning yielded 94hp/113lb torque with the new pipes.
It's a matter of opinion as to whether is was worth the $$ or not. I am however happy with the final dyno run....for now at least...lol

Overall I think that the look and sound of Rineharts are unsurpassed for a true dual setup but most of the big 100+ horsepower bikes seem to be running 2-into-1 pipes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tuning pipes

My wrench recently went to work on my set-up (95 kit, SE airbox, stage 1 download, Rineharts) and by installing a PC, achieved 78 (horsepower) and 89 (torque), which represented increases of 5 horsepower (7% increase) and 9 torque (11% increase) before the PC was installed and tuned. I was fairly impressed, as was the wrench.

Of course, I accept that I would likely see better numbers with a 2:1 pipe.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Minglewood-
Stage II SE kit (jugs, pistons, SE-203 Cams)
SE Pro Ported heads w/compression release
SE Ignition
SE Race clutch

That's about all (ok, actually way more) than I could afford for now. Plans include upgrade to 103 stoker in the hopefully near future.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
BTW...in reply to the above inquiry. I was originally thinking more, but I'm looking to get $650 (+ actual ship cost) minimum out of the Rineharts. I paid retail price on mine ($800+) because they are so scarce to find these days. Checked around all the normal places that offer 20% or more discounts before buying mine but they had no stock. Ended up getting mine from local HD dealer which happen to have 1 set in stock, otherwise 10-12 weeks backorder.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
johng_22 said:
Just wanted to share my experience. I had Rinehart true duals on my '05 FLHRSI for 150 miles. Took the bike in to have a 95" kit installed. During the tuning of the bike the tech insisted that if I put a 2-into-1 header on the bike that it would way outperform the Rineharts that I already had on the bike. It really pained me to think about spending even more money on exhaust but I bent and let the dealer install a Thunderheader. After a couple of hours more tuning we produced 8 more horsepower and 12lbs more torque from the Thunderheader.
Definately a noticable amount of more power and a heck of a lot different tone from the new pipe. I really haven't decided whether or not I like the look of the new pipe but it sure performs well.
Anyone else have any similar experiences? I think that maybe just the difference from going to an 88" to a 95" might make the Thunderheader a better choice.
Anyways now I'm sitting with a set of Rineharts with only 150 miles on them. Supposed I'll try and sell them and move on

I think I would have been a bit more skeptical reference your wrench's advice. First any wrench worth his salt knows Rineharts work best with a SERT or PC. Secondly if he took the Rineharts off and tuned more...why didn't he work further on the Rineharts. I hate to tell you I think your wrech took you. My bike is a stock 88 with SE air cleaner, Rineharts, and SERT and it dyno'd at 69.5 horse....76 torque....stock numbers were 60 horse...66 torque. These numbers were obtained at 5900 feet.

Brian

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm not real suprised by the results, I have seen Rineharts compared to other exhausts in dyno shootouts & they never win. There is NO WAY a Rinehart system is ever going to equal a good 2into1 system(IE: T-Header, V&H Pro-pipe, D&D Fatcat etc)

Rineharts look & sound great, but have problems with welds breaking & definitely give up some performance to other systems.

~John

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Who did your dyno tune?

Johng_22,
where did you have your tune done, Aces & Eights?

There is a sport bike shop off of Harrison Ave that I heard has allot of tuning time with the power commander. I may have them tune mine depending on what the cost is.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dogman4324 said:
I think I would have been a bit more skeptical reference your wrench's advice. First any wrench worth his salt knows Rineharts work best with a SERT or PC. Secondly if he took the Rineharts off and tuned more...why didn't he work further on the Rineharts. I hate to tell you I think your wrech took you. My bike is a stock 88 with SE air cleaner, Rineharts, and SERT and it dyno'd at 69.5 horse....76 torque....stock numbers were 60 horse...66 torque. These numbers were obtained at 5900 feet.

Brian
Brian, I guess I am missing the point as to why I should be skeptical about the change of the pipes. It really isn't hard to look at the numbers achieved by each pipe setup to see that it's a no brainer. Here is an example, goto this horsepower gallery...you'll notice that there is NOT ONE SINGLE bike listed using Rineharts, but look how many 2-into-1 pipes are listed...the majority of them.
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hplist_twin_cam.htm

I should have listened to my wrench from day one. He told me that Rineharts are a great sale at the register because they are big $$ but that's it. Now with that being said do you STILL think my wrench took me for a ride? If you do...read on. My wrench told me he would sell mine for me since so many people seem to want them and they are still backorderd, and guess what...they did! Sold them for $650 (in MY pocket) and the Thunderheaders cost me way less than that new, so I now have cash in my pocket. Not too bad in my book.

I guess what it comes down to is I was just sharing my experience on the board for the rest of you. I would never expect that everyone is gonna agree, but damn If I wanted a line of crap from you about the cost I'd marry you and call you my old lady.....

-John

·
Renegade
1,234 Posts
Lmao!

"but damn If I wanted a line of crap from you about the cost I'd marry you and call you my old lady..."

You got my house under surviellance? (Just finished gettin' my BB and cams parts together. :cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I believe that there are no posts with Rineharts because they are so new. Nightrider's is several years old. My bike is '03 Road King with Andrews 37g, SE Air Cleaner, Rineharts, and not too intense of a carburetor work -- 77hp, 88tq. With higher compression, and ported heads, results should be fairly decent as yours would be as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There's been lots of discussion about the Rineharts and consensus is that they may work as well as other systems on top end but they lose at low and mid-range...........this was shown in the last Cycle World HD Hi Performance issue and wqas document prior as well.........I agree that they sound great but I wouldn't trade that for low rpm grunt any day..........especially on a bagger.

·
Registered
1 Posts
S&E air, keeping my Rineharts. 88" EFI, Flash, when I'm ready for the 95" ill worry about exhaust, keeping it simple.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts