V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the obvious answer would be yes, My bike has about 600miles on the Screamin Syn I put in, then put it away for the winter, you think it is good, not sure if I am wasting $$ changing,,,,,prob just do it, just curious of your opinions....thanks

·
Banned
249 Posts
I wouldent sweat oil with only 600 miles on it,just make sure when you ride it the oil gets hot enough to burn off the condensation in it

·
Registered
384 Posts
crash1292 said:
I wouldent sweat oil with only 600 miles on it,just make sure when you ride it the oil gets hot enough to burn off the condensation in it
Gotta agree there........not much difference between in the bottle or in the motor.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Actually the obvious answer is NO - there's no need to change it. Oil doesn't get dirty just sitting. If you are going to change anything just change the filter. Filters do tend to deteriorate over time, but i still don't change mine for a short winter storage.

·
Another Old Fart
241 Posts
Sorry to highjack the thread but Guys how many miles is the norm between oil changes with Syn 3. I'm figuring between 4 to 5 K. Thanks....... Mike...

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Chuck brings up a good point, which reminds me of something else.
Unless there is a puddle of oil under your bike, don't add oil first thing in the spring without running it for a bit first, especially on the bikes w/ a separate oil tank. The oil drains down and will sometimes not even register on the dipstick until it's been circulated back to the tank.

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
csoday said:
Your main concern after winter storage is the tire air pressure, Just check it, don't change it. :D
I personally change the air in my tires every 3k using Syn12 air from the moco. I know it is expensive at $8.95 a pound but I don't want to void the warranty on my exhaust by being cheap. Nothing is too good for my Harley.
BTW does anyone use Amsoil or Mobil1 air in their tires?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

·
Goooood morning, Vietnam!
391 Posts
gunnut said:
I personally change the air in my tires every 3k using Syn12 air from the moco. I know it is expensive at $8.95 a pound but I don't want to void the warranty on my exhaust by being cheap. Nothing is too good for my Harley.
BTW does anyone use Amsoil or Mobil1 air in their tires?
:thumbsup: :laugh: :hystria:

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Its more important to change your oil at the END of the riding season than at the beginning.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Remember that the oil change schedule is either mileage or 6 months. If the oil has been in the bike 6 months then you are supposed to change it due to oil becomming acidic from running through the motor and picking up carbon and other deposits.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Fatb0y said:
Remember that the oil change schedule is either mileage or 6 months. If the oil has been in the bike 6 months then you are supposed to change it due to oil becomming acidic from running through the motor and picking up carbon and other deposits.
The oil is probably ok, but you should check this link out for more on contaminated oil. After doing my 95 build I changed the oil 3 times (50, 250, 800 miles) and then used this system at 1500 and could not believe that 22oz of dirty crap came out what I thought was a clean engine. http://www.roguechopper.com/

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Syn12 is crap!

gunnut said:
I personally change the air in my tires every 3k using Syn12 air from the moco.
I can't believe you use that crap. I use Helium. It reduces your rotational mass by 23% allowing greater acceleration, as well as a side benefit of reducing the mass of the bike. *TIBS*

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
YankeeBob said:
Its more important to change your oil at the END of the riding season than at the beginning.
Just by timing and not know when season is really going to end I change it in the spring. They say to change it in the fall, because it can become acidic, if it has alot of miles on it.

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
bbrowncods said:
I can't believe you use that crap. I use Helium. It reduces your rotational mass by 23% allowing greater acceleration, as well as a side benefit of reducing the mass of the bike. *TIBS*
I tried helium for a while. After I told a riding buddy who happens to be an old deadhead, I found him trying to suck the air out of my tires.
:brows: :brows: :brows: :brows:

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Chuck brings up a good point, which reminds me of something else.
Unless there is a puddle of oil under your bike, don't add oil first thing in the spring without running it for a bit first, especially on the bikes w/ a separate oil tank. The oil drains down and will sometimes not even register on the dipstick until it's been circulated back to the tank.
Put my XL away with 300 miles on the oil. Sat for 2 months. Just before I started it, I checked the oil and SURPRISE, no oil on the dipstick and I could just see some oil in the tank. Put the dipstick back in and started it. Pulled out the dipstick and could see the oil returning to the tank. The manual says to pinch off the oil bag hose before storage......but I don't............

1 - 20 of 22 Posts