1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for a 02 Fatboy

The rear turn sig lens can be changed to red , part #DHD5R from JP-
It is advertised for a Deuce but it is the snap on type and fits perfectly
(the Deuce and Fatboy share turn signals)

My plan is to convert my rear turn sigs into running/turn/brake lights.
I have an easy circuit that I built and have used that works great:
If one side is turn flashing, the opposing side is a brake light and vice versa.
And of course if no turn sigs are applied , then both sides act as brake lights, only to be over ridden if a turn sig is activated. I have this setup on my Kaw and it never hurts to have PLENTY of bright red on the back of your scoot, especially here in FL with all the blind drivers.
If there is interest I will post the schematic up after I get it installed, a couple things I must do first though, replace the bulb sockets with dual filament type and
install a Ness lowering kit that I'm itching to do....(the latter has nothing to do with lights, but I have my priorities!!!)

Chops

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Chops, that sounds very interesting. I've had the red lens and at least brake light addition for the rear signals on my list of things to do for a while. I found a couple of different manufacturers that had the kits for turn, running,and brake conversion. One is kind of pricy though. What I was wondering was whether your conversion kept the flasher capability in tack. I know at least one of the kits that i have found eliminates tat capability.

Thanks,

·
Registered
14 Posts
H-D kit?

This all sounds exactly like the H-D Aux. turn signal/brake light kit. Includes the plug-in module & harness, and red lenses. About $43.

Maybe this would save a bit of time?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll look into that....But if the HD kit does not change out the bulbs and sockets to dual filament (which I don't think it can at that price) then I guess I have to go with my original plan. I want running/brake/signal not just brake/signal ,
but thanks for the heads up I'll check it out.
Chops

B

·
0 Posts
Chops, I put a Kuryakyn Hot Flash on my 2002 FXDXT with alarm. This converts the rear turn signals to running/brake/turn using the existing single-fiament light. Cost me $35 with shipping direct from Kuryakyn. Red turn signal lenses from the dealer were $2.50 each. Cheaper than the H-D unit, which doesn't give you running lights. Just plugs in under the seat, no splicing.

I have not had any turn signal cancel or alarm problems with the Kuryakyn. It comes with a seperate plug-in load equalizer that the instructions say to only use if you are having those problems.

Best $40 I ever spent ... ;-)

See it here

It's about 2/3 of the way down the page "Rear Run-Turn-Brake Controllers" - just noticed that they raised the price $10 since I bought it ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts