V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The chains you see on wallets and keys, etc. Do they serve functionally or are the merely for 'fashion'? Problems wearing them?

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
rreffner said:
The chains you see on wallets and keys, etc. Do they serve functionally or are the merely for 'fashion'? Problems wearing them?
Function is to keep a wallet if it falls out of your pocket.
Problem is that they can scratch or even just rub up against paint.

·
ALK
321 Posts
Most motorcycle jackets have an inner breast pocket that is usually large enough to hold most wallets.

If your wallet is anything like mine, its an overstuffed wedge that is better off in a jacket pocket...at least while in the wind.

just my -2$en#e- worth

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
in the 70's, when i thought i was cool, i had a wallet with chain. one day when dismounting my sporty, the chain hung on the rear shock------------down went me and bike in front of a crowd!!!

no more chains for me. lol

·
repeat offender
691 Posts
I used to wear one when I was a trucker. If you drive all day for a living and you're sitting on a stuffed wallet, you're gonna have a backache in no time. With the chain wallet, you just pulled it out of your pocket when you sat down and flopped it on the floorboard. You never had to worry about climbing out of the truck and getting all the way inside a greasy-spoon restaurant or inline at the fuel desk and all of the sudden remember that you left the wallet in the truck!!

BTW, we used to call them "Chain-Drive Wallets" I heard it was because the old time trucks had chain drive instead of a rear differential, so the truckers made a joke out of the guys who had chain wallets.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Also called a Truckers wallet. The chain stopped you from losing it when you were sliding in and out of the seat. A double edged sword for reasons someone already stated. The jacket pocket works except when the jackets home. I've had my wedge stuffed in my pocket so long that the second its gone I feel it. I did think it was cool when I was young of course at the time I didnt have a bike or truck. I never lost it when hanging on the corner or by the bowling alley...
JTS

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
I use one. Just a little sense of security. I used to lose or leave my wallet someplace but now I don't. I just lose my keys now...........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts