V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard and talked to people that did this only to regret it very shortly after installing the belt drive. Apparantly there is a very SMALL margin of error for installing a belt drive system. The chain drive system has a larger margin of error as far as measurements go. Get a chain a little off center, and it won't effect your riding much...get a belt off centered and your in for BIG trouble and a whole lot of belts being chewed up. Both the people I knew that tried this went back to their chain drives because converting to the belt was too damn much trouble. I would stick with the chain, unless you have some VERY precision instruments to line up that final drive system with. "Eyeballing" it just won't due.

·
Known Associate
175 Posts
Chains require constant adjustment and lubrication, but allow you to install wider tires, and can also be repaired 'on the road' should you have a failure. In addition, the sprockets (engine and final drive) should be changed every time you change your chain or all three components will wear prematurely.

Belts are quieter and require less maintenance, but are a '*****' should you have to change one and would not be easily replaced should one fail on a long ride. They are also more expensive than chains.

It comes down to personal preference. I run an o-ring Tsubaki chain...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently bought a 5 speed belt drive after owning a 4 speed chain drive some years ago. The belt is smoother, cleaner, quieter and after nearly 4000 miles adjustment is still OK. No way would I go back to chain drive.

·
Registered
124 Posts
ksims1868,
I have known several people to convert to belt from chain drive, only to regret it. The biggest problem is the parts. Seems that in almost every case, the front pulley ends up with the teeth stripped out where it grabs the output shaft of the tranny. The front pulley costs about $100-$125 to replace if this happens, a friend of mine replaced it twice before switching back to chain drive.

I know the chain is not fun either, unless you buy a really expensive RK X-Ring chain that will last for about 20,000 miles(properly maintained), all the other chains seem to be 10,000 miles or less. I had an el cheapo chain that only lasted 5,000 miles and I was a freak about chain maintenance. The upside to the chain though is you can change you final drive ratio(reduce RPM's at interstate speeds) with a lot less cash(sprockets are cheap!), and of course the wide tire if you are into that.

The belt drive kit can work though. If you install everything better than the instuctions say, new bolt for output shaft and loctite on properly cleaned threads, maybe even a new wider washer to keep the pulley in place, then it should last. If you do it, I don't recommend loctite on the rear pulley where it bolts to the wheel, use the locking tabs. The belt drive kit will still leave a chain drive sporty revving pretty high for a lot of interstate use.

And by all means, use a toque wrench!

·
Registered
18 Posts
chain vs. belt

I am going to convert my belt to chain. I dont mind the maintenance,
[I have dirtbikes so I'm used to it], and only get to ride the sporty[01XL"S"]
a few thousand miles a year. I was told to get sprockets for a 92
[last year of chain drive] and an oil seal from 92 also. Are there other
spacers or such I would need? Any info would be appreciated.
Also,some sources say this is a 520 chain and some say 530. Are there
major differences?

Thanx
Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts