V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on the CERAMIC COATING process that supposedly is designed to reduce radiated heat? Will it work for the TC-88 header pipes?

Could this cause failures in other areas because of the additional heat build up inside the pipes? :confused:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Not sure, but there have been a number of prior posts on this. You might try the search function? If you like the cosmetic result, I have generally heard good things about it, i.se. it will work, lasts, and no "blueing". Don't remember hearing about any significant heat reduction though.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have not seen it a motorcycle (just auto). Not sure i would like the looks. Kinda a "chrome" guy, I guess.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Short Block Charlie mentioned that he was going to offer Nicasil (sp?) plated cylinders soon, apparently, this material has superior heat dissipation properties. Kinda spendy though.

wyo

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Porsche has used Nicasil for many years. Maybe harley will follow suit. Porsche pistons and cylinders come as a set, over $1,000 (for 1 piston and 1 cylinder). Makes big bore kits rather pricey, also why I now ride Harleys (lol).

·
Registered
17 Posts
The theory behind the coating is that: by reducing heat loss through the pipe walls, and containing it in within the pipe itself, it slows the cooling of the exhaust gases. Retaining the heat in the pipe causes the gases to move faster within and aiding exaust flow. Therefore the heat isn't just hanging around in the pipe causing any damage to the exhaust ports. It's tested to add horsepower in the 2-5% range, I'm not sure you or I would notice on the street . High Performance Coatings or HPC did the Dyna Super Sport exhaust last year when HD offered it.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
We have a customer that had his header coated with a temp reducing product. The header is cool to the touch within 4-5 mintues after riding.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate the replies. What I initially had in mind was using the material to coat the inside of the header to reduce radiate heat. Found out through some research the material is only .007 thick. The company I am currently talking (M&R PERFORMANCE COATINGS, located in Kodak TN.) with states the temps. will be lower somewhat but recommends that both the inside and outside surfaces of the pipes be coated. This should be no problem using the polished materials since the heat shields will cover most of the area. May just give it a try!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts