V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 2003 RKC and I am interested in adding a center stand, especially for shows. What experinces have some of you had with them and are they easy enough to use that I can eliminate my jiffy stand or do I need to keep both on the bike-

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
How easy is it to get on it? I can't see any reason for it. Unless you could weigh or tie front end down so could change tires or belts on the road.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would think you could get rid of the jiffy stand if you wanted. However you would always need to be on a level surface to use the center stand.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
How hard is it to get on the center stand? If you get rid of kickstant, will have to calibrate oil dipsticks. I don't think I would want t jsut have center. Kickstand is convient, quick and easy.

·
Registered
378 Posts
berserker said:
How hard is it to get on the center stand? If you get rid of kickstant, will have to calibrate oil dipsticks. I don't think I would want t jsut have center. Kickstand is convient, quick and easy.
Depends on which center stand you have. I had the HD display stand and it is easy to get on. Hold down with left foot while still on the bike, rock it back onto the stand. But as you and the other gent say, I sure wouldn't remove the jiffy stand. You have to be on a pretty level surface to use the display stand (center stand). Nice thing about the HD is that you can adjust the legs so it puts more weight on the stand to preclude the bike from rolling off of it. If it is then too hard to push the bike off of it, just put her in gear and ride off. Just my .02......

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback

Sounds like the jiffy stand must stay on for oil checks and uneven ground. I'll check out the HD stand this weekend. When I put it on I'll post some pictures-

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Set it on the kick stand check the oil when its toped off cold and hot. Mark the dipstick with a soldering iron (the stick is plastic) and chop off the kick stand... Simple...

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Rhinohd said:
Set it on the kick stand check the oil when its toped off cold and hot. Mark the dipstick with a soldering iron (the stick is plastic) and chop off the kick stand... Simple...
No, unless I am missing something. Fill it up after oil change. Then mark dipstick while on center stand and use this as your new reference.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Check the oil while on your jiffy stand and make sure it is at the correct level.

Now, put the bike on the center stand and check the oil again. At this point, you will want to put a new reference mark on the dipstik, this will now work everytime you want to check the oil while in the center stand.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Agree with berserker and alperin1. I didn't actually mark it but before I made it a trike I had the display stand. Checked it on the jiffy stand after a fresh oil change. Then put it on the display stand and made a point to see where it was. If I remember correctly, when I would check it while cold on the jiffy stand, it was half way between add and full. When cold on the display stand, it was on the full mark. Believe my manual says to be sure and check it cold. Will make quite a difference if checking it when hot, besides burning the heck out of your hand and fingers.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
YA it might move 1/4 hot. Look at the manual. Saus cold half way hot at top. Maybe even 1/2". But it has to be really hot. Not just 5 minutes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts