V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using a standard lift from Costco for cleaning my heritage but my Legend air suspension has a Vee shaped protective plate preventing my frame from contacting the lift at four points. It's a little unstable and using tie down straps don't seem to offer the security from the bike pivoting forward during front wheel cleaning. I'm also rolling the rig up on blocks to get the clearance needed to get the lift under. Its a hassle.
Looking through a Thunderpress rag I saw two center stands : www.jpslaststand.com & www.cyclelifts.com advertised. The contact bar rolls against the frame as it pivots the bike up. A breaker bar set up is used to manually lift the rear wheel up.
I'm wondering if anyone out here has used one. My concern is the distance the rolling bar travels along the bottom of the frame. Once again I dont want it hitting the shock cover.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
487 Posts
Are you using the frame protectors? They are about $15, and give a bit of clearance, when the bike is on the lift.

Don

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No protectors came with the lift. I'll check a few shops for some. The protector would have to be about 1.5" thick however to provide the clearance. Currently I have the lift contacting the shock cover to be more centered under the bike. Lifting from behind simply has too much weight up front. Thanks much.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Southbay Bomber said:
No protectors came with the lift. I'll check a few shops for some. The protector would have to be about 1.5" thick however to provide the clearance. Currently I have the lift contacting the shock cover to be more centered under the bike. Lifting from behind simply has too much weight up front. Thanks much.
The frame protectors are a HD item. They are long orange rubber pieces, that fit overe the bottom frame tubes. You need to cut out for the cross braces, but they fit great. I am not sure how thick they are, but they keep my lift from contacting my shocks.

Don

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Not sure of your lift configuration, but give this a try.
The problem is the spacing between the current frame supports on your lift. Remove the supports, get some longer grade 8 bolts, farm and tractor supply store is cheap source, mount the supports to the outside edge of the lift arms. This give about 4 more inches of width to the lift and may clear the shocks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LittleBear said:
Not sure of your lift configuration, but give this a try.
The problem is the spacing between the current frame supports on your lift. Remove the supports, get some longer grade 8 bolts, farm and tractor supply store is cheap source, mount the supports to the outside edge of the lift arms. This give about 4 more inches of width to the lift and may clear the shocks.
Your correct. The supports could be moved to the outside of the pivoting struts and would require longer bolts. The supports are welded together with a single brace that could be replaced with a longer piece of stock. I do question re-engineering the unit however. I'd hate to see my rig topple if something gave way.

·
Registered
958 Posts
The centerstand bars wrapped in heavy rubber,I only use the frame protecters on the lift. I use the centerstand alot more than the lift and it's very stable and easy to use.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shinbone1028 said:
The centerstand bars wrapped in heavy rubber,I only use the frame protecters on the lift. I use the centerstand alot more than the lift and it's very stable and easy to use.
Assuming I place the center stand directly behind the shock cover and start lifting the bike the roller would only have about 4" max to roll back along the frame before I run out of frame. How far does this lift roll along your frame?
Also, how about lifting the frontend? Does the lift work equally as well up front?

·
Registered
958 Posts
You lift 1 end or the other.On my bike,I place the bar just forward of the clutch inspection cover,then lever it up, that lifts my front end,it rests with the handle on the ground and it's very stable. Reposition it if you want to lift the rear. The centerstand lift doesn't roll along the frame,you just position it where you want it and lever it up. Position it on your frame where it has the best support and clearance,either front or rear,and thats it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
shinbone1028 said:
You lift 1 end or the other.On my bike,I place the bar just forward of the clutch inspection cover,then lever it up, that lifts my front end,it rests with the handle on the ground and it's very stable. Reposition it if you want to lift the rear. The centerstand lift doesn't roll along the frame,you just position it where you want it and lever it up. Position it on your frame where it has the best support and clearance,either front or rear,and thats it.
Sounds great. Which manufacturer's stand do you use?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts