V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a trip in a month or so and a lot of it will be solo, I have been thinking about getting a cell phone but there are so many service plans available and I don't know which would be best. It would be mainly for emergency use, but also to check in with the wife at home every so often. Or would I be better off carrying a hand held CB.
Any input is appreciated, Thanks. Dave

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
If you are going to be traveling on major interstates, check out www.sprintpcs.com. Digital phones that are dual band, so you can switch to analog and roam if you are out of their calling area. Their nationwide free long distance is a great program.

Word of advice, activate the phone yourself via the internet to save time and money vs. calling their 800 number!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Handheld CB will not let you call your wife. Most of the time, unless your on the interstate, you wont hear anything but noise on it. My advise is to go with the cell phone DPrice suggested.

·
Registered
629 Posts
You can talk to the people at the Radio Shack in Marina Village, that is where I got my phones. Talk to them about the plans, letting them know what you are going to use it for. I ended up getting 2 (1 for me and the wife), and we don't use a normal phone anymore.

I would suggest the warranty plan with whatever you get. If you drop the phone while cruising down the road, they will fix it for you.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Carry a tool kit unless you plan to stay in CA.

More often then not, in AZ, NV, CO, WY, MT, ID and UT, you'll never get a signal when you need it. See it happen all the time.

The CB has very short range and is totally useless other then bike to bike communication, if that's your cup of tea.

·
Registered
18 Posts
dprice is right, get a Sprint and ignore the rumors, they allow you to call from anywhere to anywhere as a local call, and while you might find a spot where you are roaming .. at least you get service, others that I have try I woudl gladly pay the roamign charge just to be able to make the call (they where dead)

:)

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I have been using Verizon all over the country including Hawaii, Montana, Colorado, all over the east coast. The only place I have any problems is Maine where I am going right now. Good luck and ask everyone who they use.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have us celluar only because most of wis is my home area its good for more rural areas in the wis ,ill, iowa. where a lot of them only work good on the interstates. I will be courious to see how it works out in south dakota. saferiding rickpoco

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Rickpoco, Wis. is my destination to visit family. My brother in Wis has been using Verizon and is happy with it, so I am pretty sure that is who I will use. What part of Wis are you from? I will be in the north west around New Richmond area. [email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try

I have had nextel for a couple of years and it is terrable for out of town use maybe in larger towns, In small towns its almost like there blocked out! Sprint and Nextel are supposed to be merging!!! that will be great I have herd that sprint is goooood!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cell phone

This is a follow up, I have had Verizon now for a couple of trips and it works great, very few spots of no service. Once in a while it will be roaming and I have to watch that as that can get expensive. I also have a model phone that will send out gps signal when you dial 911 so that emergency services can fin you if you aren't aware of your location. Thanks for all the help, Dave

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had them all, I think, and they ALL suck! Verizon, Nextel, Cingular, T-Mobile... Dropped calls, no service, noise, etc. But... I wouldn't be caught without one. I currently have Nextel and the best IMO is Nextel or Verizon. And, like hippo said, carry tools. When you most need the phone, you probably won't have any service...

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cell phone

As Hippo suggested, I carry a large assortment of tools, plus first aid kit, spare tire in a can, spare gas, 1 time use camera in case of accident, but I feel better on a long trip carrying a cell ph. Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts