V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....not exactly but, has anyone ever tried to talk on one with a noise cancelling, attched to the ear, hands-free set? Before I get some schit....I'm asking because I'm looking for an alternative to the HD radio/cb/intercom speaker/boom setup. Looking for something I can use with a half helmet. I've already looked at the normal motorcycle comm places but with no luck. The HD plug can be converted to accept a hands-free set soooooooo, has anyone tried?
Brian

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
No offense but the last thing bikers need is another distraction....or the reputation that will come with riding around talking on the cell phone. It's bad enough that half the cars and trucks around us are piloted with someone only paying half attention. I know this isn't what you asked but personally I am against it and wouldn't even have a CB, intercom, or radio on my bike. Put the dang phone in your saddlebags and if you really need to talk to someone, pull over.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Gotta go with logical on this one.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We Ultra owners have an option to talk to our rider with a voice operated system which requires one to only open ones mouth and speak. I never use the CB but the intercomm is nice especially if you don't have to do anything but speak. I found that I can walk and chew gum at the same time
;)
Brian

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I understand....but talking to a passenger who is experiencing the same environment you are and is going to know when to talk and when to shut up is a whole lot different than talking to your plumber about your basement flooding. You asked about a cell phone, not your intercom.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I re-read my post and I can see (sort-of) why you thought I was asking for a cell phone solution, sorry.
Cell phones and bikes don't mix, I agree.
Brian
:D

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
maybe it was the title "Cell phones" that threw me off?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
That must be why my friends think I'm nuts, when ever I am talking to them on my cell, they ask what I'm doin, and I say about 90. they tell me to get the hell off the road and call them back. Don't know why, I ride useing my feet anyway.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Some people can't drive let alone listen to a radio/CB/cell phone and drive, some can read the paper and drive. Some people, not many can concentrate on multiple things, different road conditions need more or less concentration. Logical, you said you would not even have a radio on your bike, is that personal preferance or do you really think it is a distraction? Do you listen to a radio in your car? I'm just asking because I have been riding 25 years and really enjoy my radio. I use it about half the time, sometimes I just like the sound of the bike, on long ride (5-600 miles) the radio is sweet.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
The radio thing is personal preferance.....it is passive listening and not necessarily a distraction. talking on a cell phone is more interactive and i don't care how long you have been doing it....it is a distraction.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do you know what the #1 cause of accidents is? It's passengers. Talking on a cell phone causes accidents, but its the talking part, not the fact that you have something in your hands, that causes the accident.
Passengers cause accidents in the same way, you're paying attention to your discussion/argument, not the road.
I could see wanting an intercom for things like "I need to take a leak and my ass is assleep", but I bet most people (wives) misuse it. Like the man said, the last thing a biker needs is more distractions.

·
Registered
985 Posts
To answer your original question,
no, there is not an alternative NC non-boom mic set up that will work in wind.
You have to have the low gain - noise suppression type , and since it is low gain it has to be right in front of your mouth.
Now if you want to go to a full face set up- that's easy.
Mount any type mic (condenser or dynamic) in the chin guard and it will work fine.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
One of my favorite parts of riding is I'm not obligated to talk to anyone. Phuck them communication systems!:Dennis

·
Registered
380 Posts
I always tell my mother in law i can't hear the cell Phone ring when it is in the bag and the Screaming Eagles are playing great music, the wind is blowing and the road calls. get the picture.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Y'all "talk" to the bi.. ehhhh lady on the back? I thought that was the real reason behind "Loud Pipes Save Wives"

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Chops for the reply....bummer.
And for God's sake....please close this thread!!!!!!!! It's mutating out of control :rolleyes:
Brian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts