V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2002 Ultra and would like to add a CD player or replace the Tape player with a CD. The Harley upgrade is like 800.00 and some bucks. Anyone have a suggestion. The tapes are to cumbersome to deal with when taking a 4 or 5 day ride. Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Get yourself an MP3 player. Plug it in the front of the radio and head on down the road. Works great. ;)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Apple makes the iPod for both Mac & Windoze. I can store about 4,000 songs.

JMS

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
Yep, Ipod is the way to go!!!! Let's you take practically your whole CD catalog with you on every trip!

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Ok, I'm going to sound stupid here but here goes, do I need or want a MP3 for my 2003 Ultra? Just what is a MP3 anyway? I love pictures:D

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Markcuda,
You might consider it. I've found handling the CD is a pain......

According to PC Webopedia the textbook definition of mp3 (An abbreviation for MPEG Layer 3) is "A type of audio data compression that can reduce digital sound files by a 12:1 ratio with virtually no loss in quality" Essentially, mp3's turn digital audio into data. It's like digitally lifting a song from a digital audio CD (these digital audio sound files are termed as .WAV files), placing it on the hard disk of a computer and compressing the sound file into readable data. What this means is that large amounts of digital sound can be compacted into a smaller space. With this ability to compress audio comes the capacity to store more music using a smaller amount of physical space.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
MP3 is a format that is used to store digital copes of music on your computer. You copy your CD's onto your computer in MP3 format (this process is some times refered to as "ripping" a CD). Once they are on your computer, you can download them into an MP3 player. MP3 players are small - about the size of a pack of cigarettes & can hold many hours of music. They are designed to be used like those old personal tape players (walkmen), but you can also plug them into other devices, such as the radio on your Ultra.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
how did you search MP3, I tried and got

"The search term you specified (mp3) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer."

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Another Option!

Yes, I agree the prior thread went over similar ground.

And we've even mentioned the option I'm about to mention. But it has been awhile.

How about.......XM radio (or the other, less known brand)???

Several bikes (particularly GoldWings) are running XM. Very successfully and the owners enjoy it. In fact, we put XM in Lisa's (huckelberry's) truck just to try it on. As an experiment to see if I'd like it on my FLHTC.

Cost? A LOT less than a CD player! IMHO, less hassle than the MP3 players.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all for the help, now that I've searched and researched the MP3 players...I've got'r narrowed down to about 654,000 players. This should give me something to do over the winter!!!!!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Here is the gold standard for MP3 players. Forget XM radio, you can take the iPOD anywhere, off or on your scooter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You could buy an after market cd changer and put it in the trunk. If you do go with a mp3 player stay away from the ones with a hard drive. Hard drives don't like alot of vibrations and banging around.

my 2cents

·
Registered
603 Posts
Wingrider, my iPOD can cache 20 minutes of music into RAM. You can jog with an iPOD. There were some problems with the 1st ones, like you said, skipping.

JMS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts