V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody with some electronics brains out there?

Roady 2 hard wired to back of cig lighter.
Antenna placed on top of radio under fairing.
Roady works fine, as does the Radio and CD with the CB off.

CB works with a great deal of static only if the Roady is unplgged.
If Roady is plugged in, Radio locks up if you turn on the CB..........

I only use the CB when leading rides to talk with the sweep, but want to listen to the radio as it was designed.

Moving the antenna doesn't change anything.

:dunno:

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
The Roady broadcasts the XM signal to your radio, this is causing an interference. Hard wire the Roady into your FM via an FM Modulator. RF signals can be a troublesome bunch to work with, good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have this same setup and mine works just fine. The only difference is that I just plugged the power cord into my cig. lighter. I'm not sure, but I think you may be causing problems because of the hard wire power. I may be wrong about this too, but I think the cig. power adapter that comes with the Roady also regulates the power to something less than 12 volts. The built in FM modulator works great and should not effect your CB as they are totally different frequency bands.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you are wired directly into a 12 volt wire with the Roady II you are giving it too much power. The cig. plug in reduces voltage to 5 volts. I don't know that this is the static problem, but I'm betting that it could fry your Roady II.

Regards,

Bill

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I also hard wired my Roady and I have no problems. I have had it hooked up for about 6 months. I mounted my antenna to the top of the radio but reception was poor. I ended up with the Roady mount from cyclegagets that goes on the front brake fluid master cylinder.

I would temporarily connect the car adapter back up and see if you have the same problems.

Doug

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the reply's.

Power is not an issue since I am using the supplied Roady 2 adapter. Circuit City sells a cigarette plug that allows you to hard wire it in and then plug in the Roady unit supplied.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Are you connecting usng a direct link to the mini jack on your radio or are you using the FM modulator for your signal? I am not using the direct link. Cant say why I am not having problems being hooked up to 12 volts like I am.

Is this the voltage reducer you are using? http://www.myradiostore.us/power-accessories/hardwired-car-power-adapter.html

I tested the XM car adapter in my car and it is putting out a little over 6 volts. Guess I better get one of these gysmos for my bike.

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts