V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I would like to know if anyone had trouble with there CB on there FLHTCUI. My Intercom, radio and any one talking on a CB I can pick them up, but they can here me key up But can't hear me talk. The Dealer want to send the CB/Radio off to be check out 2 to 4 week or longer No mech. know any thing about radio or CB at this Dealership. I talk to a CB/ Radio Shop He would need the Blue Print of the Radio.

Ride Safe and Have a Nice Day.

Thanks, DEE

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hate to tell you this, but if it is a late model bike all the radio diagnostics could be done by the dealer. All one would need is the ability to read, as all the flowcharts are in the FM.

All the radio software can be diagnosed by entering the different diagnostic groups on the radio itself (as well as the CB set up mode) and read out on the display, and the hardware can be diagnosed using a breakout box.

Simply sending the radio out may or may not correct the problem, for the simple reason that you don't know that the radio is the problem.

From your description it sounds like you have no modulation. The three logical first steps are to check the electrical condition of the CB antenna with an Ohmmeter, check the SWR and substitute the microphone with a known good unit.

The way I look at it no one would expect a dealer tech to repair a radio once it has accurately been diagnosed as a internal radio problem, but until that time it is a problem with the bike and one would certainly expect dealer techs to know something about the bike.

Is this under some form of warranty perhaps?

The thing is that one could never expect a local CB shop to diagnose it without the ETFM and I would feel rather nervous having them remove the fairing anyway. If you have no leverage with the dealer you can't really force them to work on it other then on their terms, and the preferred option might be to try and find a dealer that actually wants to work on your bike, but that's up to you.

·
FLHTCUSE
526 Posts
I had the same problem re read the owners book on SET-UP and you will find that the audio source is your problem set too low, the volume is level is different for each item and needs to be reset if you remove the battery for example.

Go through the setup and I think you will find your problem is simple.
Good Luck and let us know if it was user error (my was) :)

You may want to Swap Helmets with a bubby it might be your mike or cord just a thought if you haven't tried that yet.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Be sure and check your squelch too, there are a lot of things to check besides the radio. I've had mic cables go bad too, so use a known good setup like someone suggested.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey Hippo,

Is there anything you DON'T know about these motorcycles??? :)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
There surely are any number of things I don't know about them, or that I have forgotten, or that could be done in a different way, but I do take an interest in learning the specific model I happen to be riding at the time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dee,

Hope you haven't let the dealer send out your radio yet. I had the same re-occurring problem with my Harley-Davidson headsets used with the intercom and CB on my '01 FLHTCUI. It turned out it wasn't the radio, it was a bad patch cord (the coiled cord between the helmet headset and radio). I had several of them replaced by the dealer (under warrantee) until he eventually received a service bulletin from Harley-Davidson on the matter. When my third patch cord went bad, I went to the source and contacted Harley's radio vender, Radio Sound Corp of Louisville KY. The folks there were very understanding and advised that a bad batch of cords had left their factory undetected. Since then, they have revamped the manufacturing process and now all-is-well. For my inconvenience, they sent me two updated cords, free of charge and they work great. The Radio Sound folks can be reached by phone at (502) 267-6768 or on the web at http://www.radiosound.com. Hope this helps and good luck......
:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
mmm. I buy two cables may be are bad because only can ear in the left side.
Let me check., This is the pinout exit for cable. I expect be useful.

Looking at the 7-pin connector with the index groove in the connector at the twelve o'clock position, the bottom pin is #2. So clockwise from the index groove the pins are #6, #1, #4, #2, #5, #3, #7.

6 is the shield/ground (one o'clock position)
1 is the microphone input (three o'clock position)
4 is the microphone ground (five o'clock position)
2 is the speaker ground (six o'clock position)
5 is the left speaker positive (seven o'clock position)
3 is the right speaker positive (nine o'clock position)
7 is the handheld PTT (eleven o'clock position)

See you later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts